Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, Since my last thread, I got Knoppix installed and LiLo configured but now I have no sound and my CD roms, floppy drive and USB stick aren't mounted. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Knoppix installed, no sound, some drives not mounted

Hi all,

Since my last thread, I got Knoppix installed and LiLo configured but now I have no sound and my CD roms, floppy drive and USB stick aren't mounted. There's no icon in the system tray for sound but when I ran Knoppix form the CD, that icon was there even though there was no sound.

When I run sndconfig, I'm told that I'm not running a kernel with modular sound enabled and that soundcore.0 is not found in the module search path . So I'm obvisously missing something but I've run the install twice now and get the same result.

Any kind soul out there willing to help me out?

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    to mount a device you need the device name and also this:

Code:
    mount (name of device ex. /dev/hda1)
    it should work, im not 100% sure but i think if you have a floppy or CD in the drive it may be mounted not sure about the sound
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Usually when mounting a device there will be a file within /mnt like cdrom and you would mount the cdrom drive with this:
    Code:
    mount /dev/hd* /mnt/cdrom
    replace hd* with the device name such as hdc. But only ever mount when you have media within the drive,

I don't know about your sound, sorry;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Hi all,

Anyome know how to read German? The error messages are not in English, making matters worse! Here's what I got;

Martin@dhcppc0:~$ su
    Password:
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
    mount: Fehler beim Erraten des Dateisystemtyps
    mount: Einhängepunkt /mnt/cdrom ist eine symbolische Verknüpfung,
    deren Ziel nicht existiert
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin#

I think it's telling me something I'm trying to mount doesn't exist.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Martin from Dublin, I think it is saying the mountpoint doesn't exist, I'dd have a look in /mnt and if knoppix has it /media do see if there is a file named cdrom or dvd you can mount the cd to.

if you can't find one try
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    and then try and mount the drive.
    Also look in your /etc/fstab and look at the line (if you have one) for your cdrom drive, in which it will say were the drive is mounted.

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Hi again Dylunio,

Not going well I'm afraid, more error messages in German;

Martin@dhcppc0:~$ su
    Password:
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin# mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    mkdir: kann Verzeichnis ,,/mnt/cdrom" nicht anlegen: Die Datei existiert bereits
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin# mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    mkdir: kann Verzeichnis ,,/mnt/cdrom" nicht anlegen: Die Datei existiert bereits
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin# /etc/fstab
    bash: /etc/fstab: Keine Berechtigung
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin# /etc/fstab
    bash: /etc/fstab: Keine Berechtigung
    root@dhcppc0:/home/Martin#

I noticed when it's run from the CD om, only the CD it is reading is mounted, maybe if I get an update for the O.S...? Where do activate the update download?

By the way, the sound configuration in KDE Centre says for sound there is no such file or directory and I can't view details of the kernel, this must be where my problem lies and an update might fix it.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Just Joined!
    If your Knoppix version still uses knx-alsa, I would recommend removing it and checking the alsa situation. Soundconfig has never worked for me
    but alsaconf works every time, provided the device
    is supported. You'll need alsa-base & alsa-utils from apt sources, maybe alsadriver aswell (virtual package). I just add ALSA in custom kernels,
    upgrade alsa-base & alsa-utils, then run alsaconf.

I don't know the German exactly but basically your first assumption is correct, I think Keine Berechtigung means no administation or su?
    Die Datei existiert bereits mean it already exists. There are packages within Knoppix for multiple language output.
    You can use dselect to find unecessary language packs.
    Online altavista babelfish for common language conversion.

To update the entire installation, the safe bet is apt-get update followed by
    apt-get upgrade. What kernel do you use? SCSI emulation is not
    needed in kernel 2.6.xx unless you have an SCSI specific hardware, so you may need a new kernel and native ATAPI support.

Hi xxosix,

For the moment, I uninstalled Knoppix as I'm using the space to try out Fedora, but right now I'm in the middle of a disaster with re-installing Mandrake and have had to order a new DVD Rom as the original is damaged (downloading's not an option for me). Once I'm back up, I'll be loading my distros back on, these will include Fedora and SuSE, if I have space left over for Knoppix, I load it also, otherwise I'll just run it from the CD Rom for now.

Thanks

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Hi guys,

Ok, it's been a while but hose who've seen my posts in the other forums will know I replaced my main hard drive and added an ITE controller, then attached my old drive to that to serve as a spare. I've now re-installed Knoppix and boot it from a floppy as the SuSE bootloader I normally use only recognises GRUB and not LiLO.

Now, the sound works on the TV application, but not the KDE desktop, that means it's installed but KDE is not looking at it. There is a defunct onboard VIA-AC97 sound card in the machine, I would presume KDE is looking at that instead of the SB LIVE Value card which is the correct sound device. So....how do I correct this in KDE? Hopefully it won't be too difficult!

The CD roms aren't mounted but all the drives/partitions are with the exception of the ITE controller but I've had that same issue with my other distros (except Xantros). There are icons on the desktop for the CD Roms, but judging by the error meesages I get when I try to mount them, I think I'm getting a conflict as if I'm trying to mount the same device twice? Any ideas?

If any of you are watching LIVE 8 now.....enjoy! I have it on the satelite TV beside me while I surf.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland

Okay, I upgraded to Knoppix 3.9. It works off the CD Rom perfect,but when installed to the hard drive.....no sound,CD Roms don't work.....same problems. This is weird...!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast