Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys... I have a dual-boot system with Windows XP and SuSE 9. I have come to the conclusion that at this time, I cannot use linux full-time. My SuSe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix Partition Editing

Hey guys...
    I have a dual-boot system with Windows XP and SuSE 9. I have come to the conclusion that at this time, I cannot use linux full-time. My SuSe is, I might note, seriously messed up. At the moment I can't possibly use it without a lot of help getting it fixed. So what I'd like to know is, could I use the new Knoppix 3.8 to salvage the few files left on SuSE, and then repartition the hard drive and get rid of SuSE? The new version writes to NTFS, so I'm assuming it can also repartition the hard drive to NTFS. Sorry to sound like a stupid n00b.

Just Joined!
    yes you can salvage the stuff on your suse partition..boot up knoopix (3.7 is the latest verison i believe) and mount that partition, then preferably mount a removable storage device (i would choose a usb drive) and save all those files you want to save to the drive. unount the partitions and then do a knoppix install and install knoppix to the suse partition

Just Joined!
    On Slashdot they said that there was a new version, 3.8, that could write to NTFS. So my idea was to move any important files onto the Windows partition, then use Knoppix to ged rid of the SuSE partition and give it to Windows (evil I know). I'm not planning on an actual Knoppix install.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well if ur removing that parition then either use partition magic in windows or qtparted in linux to delete the suse parition and resize the windows partition. im not exactly sure as to the "science" of resizing a partition after a OS has been installed to it but there are how tos on the web on how to do it without fubar-ing your drive