Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a n00b and having trouble configuring X for a newly installed Mandrake 10.1 distro, and was told to run Knoppix to use the configuration settings [for Mandrake]. My two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 3.6 DE resolution and language problem

I'm a n00b and having trouble configuring X for a newly installed Mandrake 10.1 distro, and was told to run Knoppix to use the configuration settings [for Mandrake].

My two primary [Knoppix] problems now are the language and the resolution (I accidentally downloaded the German ISO, this is a problem because I cannot read German).

Resolution first:
    Hopefully this explanation makes sense. The desktop is only using maybe 60% of the screen, so everything is too small to interpret. The used area is not centered though; I have two partial images of the desktop (so two cursors). These partial images stretch across the whole screen, separated by a black stripe of about two inches in width. Along the top and bottom there are similar stripes, but horizontal. Could someone please explain how to center and enlarge the desktop image? I could only use a sequence of steps that don't require too much reading or differentiating between icons (e.g. click nth icon from left on taskbar...). I do have the monitor's specs.

Now Language:
    From a forum search on Knoppix language settings, I learned Knoppix 3.7 Pro has a console command for german -> english (knoppix lang=us); this did not work for me. Is there another method for 3.6? Regardless of the language, should I still be able to use the GUI settings for Mandrake?

Thanks for any info or links.

I'm not sure of the resalution, but regarding the language, you will sadly have to download the english version, since you only have 3.6, you can get it from here
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thanks dylunio. I'll just start downloading and learning german.. I'll proceed accordingly with the first to finish.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by SO(3)
    Thanks dylunio. I'll just start downloading and learning german.. I'll proceed accordingly with the first to finish.
    Hopefully it will be the download heir SO(3)
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2