Find the answer to your Linux question:
I will warn you now that i know nothing about linux. With that said i need to know a few things. I am trying use knoppix 3.7 live cd. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

post installation problems

I will warn you now that i know nothing about linux. With that said i need to know a few things. I am trying use knoppix 3.7 live cd. I have an athlon 64 pc that runs on windows xp 64bit edition. am having problems with pretty much all of the programs. It boots perfectly and works great at first. However after i used it for a little bit some of the programs simply stopped working. It does that with mozilla and several other programs. And there are other programs, such as the media players, that have not worked since the first time i used them. I have looked through several forums and have not found anything that looks anything like this. If you can think of anything I would really appreciate your help.

How much RAM have you got? you may not have a sufficient amount to run a live cd.

Are you sure the cd wasn't corrupted during the download useing a md5 checksum test?

Did you burn the cd at a slow enough speed so that it would burn cleanly, no faster than 16x.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

What do you mean by them starting to not work? Do they stop working or just stop loading when you launch them anew? Can you run them from a konsole when this happens and see if they output anything?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    i have 512 mb or ram. I am not sure if that is a sufficient amount to run the program. I did burn it at a higher speed so i will probly try burning again. And the problem with the programs is that they start and they work for a few minutes and the it will close, and when i try to open them againit comes up with an error message and says it cant work. I will go ahead and try that code. Thanks for replying, cause i am totally clueless.

512MB is plenty for running Knoppix and its programs, see how the re-burning goes.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I burned it to a cd again and everything seems to be working fine. I am actually using it right now. The media player is working and doesnt seem to have any trouble. It is actually running a lot faster than it was before. Thanks a lot for your help. You guys are really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    512MB is plenty for running Knoppix and its programs, see how the re-burning goes.
    Yeah...I've run it on a box with 384, downloaded a ~100M iso and burned it. Things got shaky for a bit because I had forgotten to close stuff before burning, but it all worked out in the end.

Glad everything is fixed, nickolai.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy