Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought yesterday a Zoom external V.92 voice faxmodem" that connects to a serial port and I bouted with knoppix and I gone to the linux icon and I configured ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem Problem .... EMERGENSY

I bought yesterday a Zoom external V.92 voice faxmodem" that connects to a serial port and I bouted with knoppix and I gone to the linux icon and I configured my modem to the com3 port it was...( I check the port in windows) and the modem still doesn't work.
    It gives the error that the modem is busy and quits.
    Why? I knew that 99.9% of serial modems are compatible with linux

Have you tried it with different settings? My Actiontec V92 external serial liked /dev/ttyS0 but I'd go down the list and see what you get with the others. Under SusSE 9.1, wvdial found my internal USR pci at /dev/ttyS14!

That's another thing. Try wvdial. It will look for your modem and let you know where it is. wvdial is a far better "dialer" than kppp anyway, in my opinion of course...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    It's more than that.....
    When I querry the modem It says : modem busy.
    mmore help on this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK I did it

It's working? What did you do to get it going? Inquiring minds want to know...

Just Joined!

Me, too.

I'd like to know too. I have the same problem. I'm using the ActionTec Call Waiting modem. I have not had this computer on Linux for about five years - before they gave TUX his name! - but it was working fine then. One thing I did since that time is I flashed the modem with the latest v90 software.

I keep on reading by searching Google for this, that sometimes ActionTec modems work, but sometimes they don't.

Also some of the comments say that something is lacking in the current Linux kernal that was in several versions ago.

If anyone finds the answer - let me know. Linux finds my modem which it calls a Venus modem, and give me the I/O and the IRQ using /cat/pci.

But I have tried all the various possibilities but so far nothing works.

Best

David Ring
    Green Harbor, MA

Hi David,

So if it was working before with Linux, and doesn't after flashing, I'm at a loss. Is there any way to return it to its former state? As stated above, I have the external version and it works swimmingly. Are you running kppp or wvdial? If wvdial, does it not find it when running wvdialconf?

Just Joined!
    Well, let's put it this way:

Abour 2000 I ran Mandrake 7.1 distribution, the modem worked fine.

Later I put the computer back on Windows XP and I noticed that ActionTec had a driver for v90 for this PCI modem, so I flashed it. My connection speed went up from 40.4 k to 505 k on connect, so I was pleased.

I got a copy of Knoppix and got interested in Linux - but when I tried to use Kppp or the other program you suggested, nothing was found. I think the other program was wvdialconf or something like that - that program doesn't detect the modem. When I do a cat /pci scan, Linux recognizes the modem as "Venus" which is the chip set. I see the IRQ and the starting and ending memory address.

I am stumped!

David

When I put the v92 actiontec pci in my mother's computer, it didn't work right either under Mandrake. It does under RH/Fedora without cracking a terminal. Actiontec was real good about giving me support on how to get it working under Mandrake. I'd email their support and see what they say. They do advertise that their modems work with Linux so they should help. Meantime, I'll try to think of some other ideas. Nerderello is really good on 56 k modems. Maybe he'll see this post and have some suggestions.