Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
running knoppix 3.8 from a cd. when i try to move anything to file:/usr/local, it says "no access to file:/usr/local". is it normal?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't write to usr/local

running knoppix 3.8 from a cd.
    when i try to move anything to file:/usr/local, it says "no access to file:/usr/local".
    is it normal?

Just Joined!
    yes

Just Joined!
    well, i read in the software installation howto that it would be the best to copy .tar.gz there. i know it says it's not important but it says in the configure.in that this is its default path, and this path is also present in a couple of other places in configure.in.
    i learned to use the chmod command and managed to copy the .tar.gz file there but it still doesn't want to install.
    the programs were gnewtellium (http://gnewtellium.sourceforge.net/) and qtella (http://qtella.sourceforge.net/).
    can you help me, please?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    if its a normal compile it will be placed in there it shouldnt mater where it is compiled from
    I generaly make a directory in home and compile from there

Just Joined!
    that's what i was doing before but it didn't work.
    do you think you could please be so kind as to try to install the two programs yourself and tell me how to do it? i'd be extremely grateful indeed.

Just Joined!
    sorry I must be half asleep your runing from knoppix live cd
    in short not possible

Just Joined!
    oh, so that's it do you think i could help it somehow without having to install knoppix to hd?

Just Joined!

CREATE A PERSISTENT HOME DIRECTORY

The good news about running off the Knoppix CD is that you cannot ruin the programs by accidentally overwriting something. The bad news about running off the Knoppix CD is that you cannot intentionally update the programs by downloading and compiling newer versions. The system was designed to be protected by the read only feature of the CD. You can install a second partition, a second hard drive with a linux partition, ur a USB memory stick and create what's called a "persistent home directory" (Knoppix/Configuration/Create persistent home directory). This will let you save your settings between boots, and give you a read/write area where you can download and compile programs of interest. I've never had any luck with progam compiles , and download apps and utilities from the "KliK" webiste. Google to "Klik for Knoppix" and take a look .

Just Joined!
    i actually am going to get a 2nd hd. i understand it is possible to have windows installed on my 1st hd (ntfs), and knoppix on the 2nd (not ntfs, i imagine), is this right? i just don't get one thing: hopw do i choose which system to start, then? is it something 'bout bios?

i know klik, thank you unfortunatelly, it doesn't solve all my problems, but i've always thought it was because i haven't had an hd install, just a live cd.

Just Joined!
    What I usually do on Knoppix is to install programs to my home directory. If you decided to install Knoppix on a second hard drive, you can either use your BIOS or use a bootloader (such as GRUB) to boot into difference OSes. However, I really don't see a reason for you to install Knoppix on a hard drive because it is meant to be a live OS.

Enoch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast