Find the answer to your Linux question:
i imagine it's very naive to ask that but quite surprisingly, i haven't found the answer in any of the tutorials, faqs and howtos i've checked. so, if i have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can i still run windows after hd install?

i imagine it's very naive to ask that but quite surprisingly, i haven't found the answer in any of the tutorials, faqs and howtos i've checked.

so, if i have an ntfs disk and decide to install knoppix on one of the partitions, what happens after reboot?

won't i delete my data?

Linux Engineer
    you only delete your data if you install to the partition that your windows is on, but you can make other partitions for linux and keep your windows partition as is, and it will still work without a hitch once you set it to boot in either lilo or grub
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    even the data on the partition knoppix will be installed onto, right?

what are lilo and grab?

Linux Engineer
    you will loose data on the partition that you install knoppix on, so be sure to pick one that does not have your windows install on. Lilo and grub are bootloaders for linux, if you want to be able to boot into your install after you install it, you have to have a bootloader, linux bootloaders will also boot windows, but the windows bootloader will not boot linux. You should have options during the install to configure lilo or grub, I prefer lilo myself as I like its syntax better; however many also use grub...if you are unfamiliar with them you should probably read a little bit about them...you don't have to know everything unless you want to since they are pretty much configured for you, but that will more inform you.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    thank you for the answer

just one more question, if i may:
    very often (half or even more of instances) when i try to install programs with the "./configure, make, make install" thing, ./configure returns errors of not finding various things, and then make and make install don't work at all. as i was told, it's beause i'm running knoppix from live-cd.
    i understand the programs will install after i will have installed knoppix to hd, is this right?

Just Joined!
    You are probably missing dependencies which the program needs. Find out what dependencies you need and install those first.

Enoch