Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
this is very important for me: i'm about to buy a new hd and i want to install knoppix on it, but if i do so, will i be able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can win xp see knoppix disks?

this is very important for me:
    i'm about to buy a new hd and i want to install knoppix on it, but if i do so, will i be able to read it when in windows (xp sp2 is what i have)?

If you make your partition an ext3 partition, you could use Explore2fs to read the files on it:

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    i imagine i will be prompted how i want to format the disk? and i just choose "ext3"?

do i have to format the disk with windows before installing knoppix?

Just Joined!
    i imagine i will be prompted how i want to format the disk? and i just choose "ext3"?

You don't have to format with Windows. It should prompt you during the install for which file system you want to use.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!

Just Joined!
    Knoppix is based off of Debian. There is really no reason to install Knoppix on a hard drive because it's meant to be a live OS. Is there a particular reason why you want to install Knoppix?

Enoch

Linux Engineer
    Do not trust Windows to access a Linux partition. Set up a seperate fat32 partition for using between the two.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by echan
    Is there a particular reason why you want to install Knoppix?
    the reason is that i decided i'd like to start using linux, but being a complete newbie, i could only chose by what others say and by what i can see myself on the live cd. i liked knoppix and kanotix most and thought what i should do now, would be to install them to hd.

could you recommed me a better solution, please?

Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Do not trust Windows to access a Linux partition. Set up a seperate fat32 partition for using between the two.
    a partition different from that that i'm going to use linux on, right? what program can i use to do something like that? thank you for this idea, it looks very useful

Just Joined!
    I recommend starting with Fedora Core although some prefer others. It's easy to use and you can get more support if you have a problem using it.

Enoch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast