Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi I am new to linux, and after reading a bunch of stuf decided that I would start with knoppix. I went to the knoppix site, and downloaded the file, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help, please - "no operating system" message at bo

hi

I am new to linux, and after reading a bunch of stuf decided that I would start with knoppix.

I went to the knoppix site, and downloaded the file, then went to roxio "easy cd and dvd creator 5" and burned it as a bootable disk. when I tried to do this, it asked what kind of "emulation" I wanted, with options of floppy, hd, and none.

I burned it as no emulation at 16x, but it didnt want to work so I tried burning it with hd emulation, this time as 8x I think. I read somewhere now that I should mabey only burn a 4x for iso files.

when I boot, I get a thing that says something like "roxio bootable disk
    no operating system!"

oh yeah I am using a sony vaio with 256mb ram, 20gb and 40gb hd, cd burner drive and dvd drive, and thats all I can think of right now.

so should I redownload it, reburn, or redo anything else, or just buy knoppix off ebay?

You are burning it wrong. You don't want to burn a bootable disc. That feature seems to **** things up. I always use nero anyway, but I think roxio has a "iso cd" option. look for something like that.

Linux Newbie
    The Knoppix ISO already has the boot image -- do NOT add a boot image. In Roxio, you just need to 'Record CD from CD Image' (in the File menu, 2/3 of the way down). It'll ask you for a CIF or ISO file (change the filetype in the dialog window), then burn it.
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Great. Thanks!