Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ahhhh! After all this time, I still havent got my display drivers installed correctly. On Knoppix 3.7, ATI Radeon 9200SE. My display maxes out at 1024x768 @ 24bit colour at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recompiling Kernal for ATI

Ahhhh!

After all this time, I still havent got my display drivers installed correctly. On Knoppix 3.7, ATI Radeon 9200SE.

My display maxes out at 1024x768 @ 24bit colour at the mo.

I have been told and seen evidence that I need to recompile my kernal to get these display drivers working properly...

Anyone know of any good guides, and or step by step (and I mean step by step!) instructions? I have no knowledge of kernals, or kernal modules, etc.

All I have found out is:

Everyone complains ATI drivers are a &$@^ to get installed right
    I need to edit the Xfree86-4 file
    I'm in way over my head

Please, experts, help!!

Thanks

Hong

Just Joined!
    You need to compile your kernel and make sure you set a few options...modules are kernel specific

Loadable module support -> Enable loadable module support: ENABLED

Loadable module support -> Module unloading: ENABLED

Loadable module support -> ENABLED

Processor type and features -> MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) support: ENABLED

Device drivers -> Character Devices -> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support): ENABLED OR MODULE (if you don't compile this as a module, you'll have to set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "no" in your XF86Config file)
    This option enables AGP support in the kernel, which is usually a good thing to have

Device drivers -> Character Devices -> (pick the correct AGP chipset option from the list, depending on your motherboard): ENABLED OR MODULE

NB: compiling this option as a module is only possible in 2.6 kernels.

NB: AMD64 users: you must also select the AMD Opteron/Athlon64 on-

CPU GART support option in addition to those described above.

Device drivers -> Character Devices -> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support): DISABLED