Find the answer to your Linux question:
im trying to fix a friends comp whos got a nasty virus that shuts down everything as soon as he opens it. safemode doesnt work either so i decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

is there a way to get root access to the hd from knoppix

im trying to fix a friends comp whos got a nasty virus that shuts down everything as soon as he opens it. safemode doesnt work either so i decided to try using a boot cd. ive got to get some large files off his comp and he only has one cd drive so im gonna use an external hd. the problem is is that knoppix only has read only access. is there ne way to copy files from his harddrive (hd1) to mine (sd1). ive tried a root console with no success. thanx in advance

Code:
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    cp /mnt/hda1/foo/bar/baz.xy /mnt/sda1

Linux Newbie
    i have tried that but ill try again. thx for the help

Linux Newbie
    i tried again and it worked perfectly. thx for the help. no idea what i did wrong tho

Just Joined!
    hey, i need some access to the hard drive nad i've tried what was listed here. im kinda a noob but when i went into the permissions and switched it to "Can View and Modify Content" after i press ok it gives me this message: "Could not change permissions for /mnt/hda1/...". Does anyone have suggestions?

Linux Engineer
    open a console, type 'root' (or 'su'). That should do it. It will switch automatically to root mode.

Read/write permissions are easy: all you have to do is rightclick the link on the desktop, then select 'change read/write permissions'. That should do it.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    hmm, never tried that, thanks

Just Joined!
    ok, i've tried both of what you said, and it won't work, i still can't create/copy files.