Find the answer to your Linux question:
After a long and grevieous process of restoring both Knoppix and Win XP, the Knoppix installed on my HD would not work. During the process of reparing both OSes, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

this blasted boot program--

After a long and grevieous process of restoring both Knoppix and Win XP, the Knoppix installed
    on my HD would not work. During the process of reparing both OSes, I had moved Knoppix to
    /dev/hda6 , but previously it was at /dev/hda7

During bootup, the normal colorful text comes up explaining that I am booting to Knoppix, and
    then comes an error message saying that /dev/hda7 is not a valid root filesystem. I gave the
    root=/dev/hda6 boot option to the kernel, and the colorful text came along fine until the error mesg.
    I don't think this is the kernel malfunctioning, but rather a program running at startup, trying to
    validate the root fs. How do I find out what this program is, and more importantly, how do I configure it?

I was able to solve this problem by booting to the CD Knoppix and doing this:
    mount /dev/hda6
    cd /mnt/hda6/dev
    file hda7

hda7: block special (3/7)
    mknod hda7.backup b 3 7 (make a backup copy of hda7)
    ln -s hda6 hda7

However, I would still like to know how to configure this program, as this is not the first time
    that I have had to reinstall because of this error.

well, depending if you are using grub or lilo.
    if it is grub, you need to change it in /boot/grub/menu.lst
    if it is lilo, you need to change it in /etc/lilo.conf (IIRC)
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good