Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a PCI-Express on board Marvell Yukon network adaptor. Knoppix does not auto detect this network adaptor. I tried 'modprobe sk98lin' and then 'ifconfig -a', but i only see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Marvell Yukon network adaptor not detected

I have a PCI-Express on board Marvell Yukon network adaptor. Knoppix does not auto detect this network adaptor. I tried 'modprobe sk98lin' and then 'ifconfig -a', but i only see the loopback device. The only thing i can imagine is that it's because the adaptor is PCI-E?? Can anyone help me get this network card detected?? Thanks

Just Joined!
    I had the same problem on a Gigabyte board with the Marvell Yukon Ethernet and Knoppix ... I recently built another PC and used a Soltek board with Via/Gigabit and Knoppix doesn't detect it either.

Knoppix used to be famous for it's stellar hardware detection, but has taken a backseat in this area lately (IMO) to alot of other Distro's - Knoppix hasn't detected all my hardware properly since 3.2 - to use it i would have to throw in an Intel NIC, and just forget about using the onboard LAN.

I would suggest one of three things:
    • 1.) Buy a generic (Intel) NIC off e-bay ($5-$10)and put it in a PCI slot
      2.) Use another Distro (PCLinuxOS is excellent) with better hardware detection.
      3.) Look for a Linux driver for your Marvell/Yukon ethernet (good luck on that option)

Re: Marvell Yukon network adaptor not detected

Quote Originally Posted by frostedegg
    I have a PCI-Express on board Marvell Yukon network adaptor. Knoppix does not auto detect this network adaptor. I tried 'modprobe sk98lin' and then 'ifconfig -a', but i only see the loopback device. The only thing i can imagine is that it's because the adaptor is PCI-E?? Can anyone help me get this network card detected?? Thanks
    Greetings... hardware detection is a function of the kernel. If your kernel does not have the support compiled in - or at least compiled as a module - then you are not going to get it working.

The only solution is to get a newer kernel (i.e. a new distro, if you do not do kernel compiling). Unfortunately, since knoppix is a live distro you do not have the option of changing the kernel. For what it is worth, when I recetly installed FC3 on my new PC it detected my Marvell Yukon NIC perfectly (integrated into a Chaintech mobo)... I also used the latest Ubuntu Live CD and Mandrake Move... both seemed to detect the NIC, but as I only used them for partitioning I did not test the functionality. BTW, are you using the latest version of Knoppix?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Worked with Fedora 3

I got the Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet controller working on Fedora 3 after installing the Marvell 8.16 driver found at http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

You need to compile the kernel after running the patch.
    The device was then recognized on start up.

The patch doesn't work with Fedora 4, the kernel compile fails. If anyone knows how to cure this I'd appreciate some help.
    Cheers

oz
    forum.guy

Re: Marvell Yukon network adaptor not detected

Quote Originally Posted by frostedegg
    I see that this post is a couple months old, but if you are still working with this problem, know that the latest version of Knoppix 3.9 detected my Marvell Yukon NIC and that modprobe sk98lin works perfectly.

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to compile a new kernel for FC3 with support for sk98lin. I'm new to kernel compilation and I'm stuck with how to build an appropraite initrd image.

Any suggestions?