Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to install Knoppix 3.8 on a Dell pentium 2 with a blank hd. The Company gave away all its old computers, and I went home with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

cd/installation question--image?

Hi,

I want to install Knoppix 3.8 on a Dell pentium 2 with a blank hd.

The Company gave away all its old computers, and I went home with a Dell Pentium 2, 128 RAM with a hard drive wiped clean of Windows. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get into Linux, and the Knoppix distro sounded right for this here noobie.

I downloaded 3.8 and burned a CD, but (of course) it won't boot up--either on the Dell or the XP box. I read about setting the BIOS to look at the CD drive first, and did that. Also I understand that you're supposed to burn an "image" onto the CD, not just the downloaded files...what does that mean? I made the disk with HP RecordNow with the Data Disk setting.

Will there be any problems when I go to install the "image" thingy on my systemless Dell?

Thanks for your help,

--Bill

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Nero handy would you? Easy CD Creator? Either of those will let you open the ISO up as an "image" and burn it correctly. I'd be willing to bet all the HP utility you used did was burn the .ISO file onto a CD. That won't do the trick.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    snip...I'd be willing to bet all the HP utility you used did was burn the .ISO file onto a CD. That won't do the trick.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to post again with what I've come up with so far. --Bill