Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey this is the first time i have used a live cd. my girlfriends computer is failing at boot and i wanted to get her files from the hd and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

knoppix live cd on corrupted windows box

hey this is the first time i have used a live cd. my girlfriends computer is failing at boot and i wanted to get her files from the hd and burn them before i may lose everything...how do i get to the dead hd? do i mount the drive as if i was adding a new one? or is it different with a live cd...any help greatly appreciated!

Linux Newbie
    I think Knoppix *should* normally mount the hard drive at startup. If it doesn't you should be able to mount it normally, with "mount /dev/sda1" or hda1, depending on what kind of disk you have. Last time I checked, (I could be wrong, though), knoppix automatically edits fstab and creates appropriate folders in /mnt
    ---sxeraverx---
    Linux without a C Compiler is like eating Spaghetti with your mouth sewn shut. It just doesn't make sense.

Just Joined!
    yes you are right. i just booted 3.8 on my other computer and it put both drives on the desktop. so this should work perfectly!

thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    When you get to the desktop in Knoppix, you might have to right-click on the hd icon to mount it.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ