Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks... I've been trying to make a bootable CD to run Knoppix 3.8.1. After reading up and asking here, I have a few more questions. Sorry this is long ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Making a bootable CD

Hi folks...

I've been trying to make a bootable CD to run Knoppix 3.8.1. After reading up and asking here, I have a few more questions. Sorry this is long but I'm running out of blank CDs, and I want to get it right!

1. I downloaded Knoppix 3.8.1 to my XP box. It showed up as a WinRAR file named KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso. I made a data CD out of that, but it wouldn't boot because the HP burner software can't deal with images.

2. So I brought my CD with KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso on it to the office, where I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 basic, and downloaded it onto that machine. The file now shows up with a Roxio icon and the filetype is recognized as an Easy CD Creator Image File. I think I'm getting closer!

3. Is the following procedure correct?

--upon opening Easy CD Creator, click Data CD Project.

--in the window Untitled Bootable CD Project, select File>New CD Project>Bootable CD.

--in the window Choose Type of Bootable CD, there are 4 choices of Bootable CD Type:
    Floppy Disc Emulation (1.44MB)
    Floppy Disc Emulation (2.88MB)
    Hard Disc Emulation
    No Emulation
    I assume Hard Disc Emulation is the correct choice?

--still in the window Choose Type of Bootable CD, there's an Emulation Option that says "Click Browse to locate the image file that contains the bootable image." So...Browse and Open KNOPPIX_V3.8.1-2005-04-08-EN.iso?

--I am returned to the window Choose Type of Bootable CD, so hit OK.

--Now I'm back in the window Untitled Bootable CD Project. I can see two files in the Add box: BOOTCAT.BIN (2KB) and BOOTIMG.BIN (702,738 KB-That must be my Knoppix file!) Do I pop in a blank CD now? Hit Record? Soon to be a happy Linux camper?

Thanks for your advice! --Bill

I once tried to make a live cd with roxio and it wasn't verry sucessful.
    You might want to check out this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-20850.html

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Double-Click the image with Adaptec, it will ask for a CD then burn the Image. Not Hard!
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

nero trial

I've had no luck with roxio cd creator, but I used it years ago. You can get a trial version of nero just to burn you cd http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html I find this much easie. Goto burn CD image it defaults to .nri hit the file list and pick iso....bingo your on your way..

Linux Engineer
    Burn the iso with DVD Decrypter, piece of cake!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    If you really want/have to do it with roxio, all you (should) have to do is right click on the file and the first option should be 'Burn CD Image' or something like that. Thats what I did with my copy of knoppix (same version) and it worked perfectly. Hell I'm using it as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I once tried to make a live cd with roxio and it wasn't verry sucessful.
    You might want to check out this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-20850.html

dylunio
    Thanks dylunio for the reply...and to all. The Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 worked fine, and this morning I had Knoppix 3.8 running on my XP box So cool I almost didn't leave for work
    --Bill