Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi im very new to linux and am interested in it but i dont want to buy a new computer to install it on so i was wondering if i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

can i install linux and windows at the same time

hi
    im very new to linux and am interested in it but i dont want to buy a new computer to install it on so i was wondering if i could install it along with my windows xp home edition and have some way to choose which one to start up with.
    thanks
    also if u could include any info that would be helpful to a beginner..thanks

Of course. This is called dual-booting. The easiest way is to:
    1. Defragment your windows drive
    2. Use a disk partitioning app like partition magic to create some free space at the end of your windows drive (10 gigs should be enough)
    3. Install linux! It will notice the free space, then you can make partitions for it (at least two, swap and /, aka 'root')
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Most distros have a partitioning tool that will resize NTFS without damaging data.
    I have always used these partitioning tools and have not done any damage to a Windows system yet.
    Except for my own, but that was sub-consciously intentional.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot from Windows XP Home Edition

Windows XP makes a dual boot and creation of a new partition for Linux very easy.

First logon as root find the drive manager, and assuming that XP is loaded on the only partition on your drive read the Windows help files on creating a new partition. Do it, so that you have now two partitions on your drive. That done shut down and using the F2 key or Delete enter BIOS and change your booting order to boot from the cd if possible - otherwise you will need to make a linux floppy boot in Windows - see Google for that.

Then it is just a matter of booting from your Linux CD, or prepared floppy linux boot ( make sure in that case your boot is floppy first) and follow the prompts. With a little care on your part you will finish up with a boot loader that gives the option to boot from either Linux or Windows XP. Do not rush this - read all the help files - there will be some on your Linux disk probably. "Google is your friend" in this!

Just a thought: I think any computer capable of running XP will be able to boot from CD. Make sure to backup file, though, as partition magic once messed up one of my linux installs (suse, I think it was).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Whisker, have you already installed Linux and set up a dual-boot yet?

If not, like I said in my previous post, most distros will resize NTFS without damaging it.

I have done this several times. And it has worked everytime.

Just boot with your chosen distro, go through the steps for installing, most distros make this pretty straight forward.
    Post with any questions.
    If you tell me your chosen distro, I can be of more assistance.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux User
    i am going to try to install SuSE budman.
    thanks for advice ill let u know result when im done