Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Sorry for the Linux newbie questions. I have 2 problems I need help with: 1) How do you read a NTFS partition with Unicode filenames - they're in Korean? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovering data from NTFS hard drive with Unicode filenames

Hi

Sorry for the Linux newbie questions. I have 2 problems I need help with:

1) How do you read a NTFS partition with Unicode filenames - they're in Korean? Right now, they don't show up at all.
    2) I am unable to write to my second hard drive formatted under NTFS using Captive NTFS - how exactly do I this?

Background

My Windows XP registry has been horirbly corrupted such that I ended up buying another hard drive to copy the data off from the old hard drive onto the new one. Both hard drives are formatted under NTFS and are Serial ATA hard drives. The old hard drive is a one 76G partition while the new hard drive is 2 partitions: 20G and 130G.

Someone suggested using Knoppix and I find when I boot v3.7, I can access see both hard drives, including the data from the old hard drive. Filenames in English are visible and viewable. But filenames in Korean don't appear at all. I'm guessing the mount is wrong and I need a specific command which I can't figure out.

Anyhow for the files I can see, I have tried copying them from my old hard drive to my new one without success. I have clicked Captive NTFS from the menu and it finds the drivers, though most of them seem to be Windows XP SP1 versions. I've also unclicked the read tickbox on the that hard drive's property tab. I've even tried this under kernel 2.6 though it just crashes. Though I have noticed kernel 2.6 recognizes the hard drives as Serial ATA unlike the default.

Any help would be appreciated.

What you could try is to create a Fat32 partition on the 150 GB drive. Using the Knoppix qtparted program.
    Copy all of your necessary files.

After you get your Windows replaced, scan the files with an anti-virus to make sure you don't have any unwelcome guests.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    What you could try is to create a Fat32 partition on the 150 GB drive. Using the Knoppix qtparted program.
    Copy all of your necessary files.

After you get your Windows replaced, scan the files with an anti-virus to make sure you don't have any unwelcome guests.
    Thanks for your response. By copying the files, would it also copy the files with filenames in Korean? And do I need to run any commands for the mounting to permit writing to the FAT32 partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you don't have write permissions right away, all you have to do is right-click on the new partition, it will look like a new hard drive. And select to make it writable.

Just use copy and paste, it won't matter what the file extension is or what language it is in.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I've recovered most of the data. But any files with Korean filenames weren't copied over. Can anyone help?

If copy and paste didn't work, try drag-n-drop.

I just don't understand why copy and paste wouldn't work.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    If copy and paste didn't work, try drag-n-drop.

I just don't understand why copy and paste wouldn't work.
    I don't think it's about copying and pasting. The file with Korean filenames don't even appear when I do a directory listing when the drive is mounted under Knoppix. Only English filenames do.

That's why I'm thinking it's a Unicode/ASCII thing.

I didn't know you couldn't see the files in question.(don't know how I missed it, after rereading your original post)

I have no idea what to do in that case.

Maybe you could try to get a NTFS bootdisk, and try using that to copy the files to the new hard drive.

www.bootdisk.com has bootdisks, and instructions on how to put them on cd, if you need that.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Imaging

Maybe make an image of the NTFS partition and then reinstall XP so you can get to the korean files.