Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i cant seem to figure out how to get my dsl to work, i want to be able to surf using Knoppix...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Does anyone know how to use a DSL connection on knoppix

i cant seem to figure out how to get my dsl to work, i want to be able to surf using Knoppix

Just Joined!
    Why not provide some info on how you intend connecting to the net, hardware specs etc?

Just Joined!
    well i have a DSL modem from Verizon, with the typical connection, it works fine on Windows, but since its DSL and not cable i have to login, which is what i can seem to figure out,

is that what u mean by hardware specs cuz i assum my PC's specs dont matter

Linux User
    i think there is a program under the knoppix/internet/network/ menu that allows you to configure a dsl modem.. im not sure but i thought i remembered seeing it. see if it works.

Is it a USB or ethernet modem?

If it's ethernet, after it boots it should already have an IP address (Assuming router is set for DHCP). If you had previously set your router for static you will need to reflect those settings in your Knoppix configuration. I think most connections will just prompt through the browser for your password, or need to have it set in the router itself - I know on my own you access the router through 192.168.1.1 where you can configure it.

These are kinda all assuming that it's ethernet, let us know....

Just Joined!
    The knoppix forums are here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum

Just Joined!
    yeah it is ethernet, why? would it be easier through USB? i just wanna be able to surf using Knoppix Linux since it is safer

Just Joined!
    Speaking from experience, connecting via adsl modem thru usb is a pain in the tits. It does work though, you've just got to be prepared to pull all your hair out first. Here's a good site if you've got a Thompson/Speedtouch adsl modem:
    http://speedtouchconf.sourceforge.net/faq.shtml

Just Joined!
    dont know if this helps but i have a Westell Model 2200

ethernet is normally you're main man. You just plug it in, and the DHCP router will sort you out. I haven't messed around with Knoppix in a little while, I'll try to get a look tomorrow. Do you have an nVidia chippset? If so you will need to use the boot option for the 2.6 kernel so the drivers are loaded.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast