Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Okay i have changed the root password fine, but i still cant be able to change the login settings. so that KNOPPIX default user doesnt login automatically. It comes up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

An issue with KNOPPIX

Okay i have changed the root password fine, but i still cant be able to change the login settings. so that KNOPPIX default user doesnt login automatically. It comes up with an error creating a directory called face and cant modify a configuration file in the directory. I would have taken screenshots, but i didnt think of it..

does anybody know how I CAN FIX this problem or the procedure is? I know its not a hardware issue because i have KNOPPIX copied to my second hard drive and it works fine. But I dont want it to automatically to logon on the KNOPPIX default user I want to be able to run root and modify some settings.

Is there a way i can fix this?

regards
    mullet

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, I would edit the /etc/inittab file so that it stops booting at runlevel 3 rather than 5. That way you can log in as root and do what needs to be done from VI or your favourite command line editor. From the command line as user...
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/inittab
    You'll see a section toward the beginning of the file that looks like this...
    Code:
    # The default runlevel is defined here
    id:5:initdefault:
    Change it so it looks like this...
    Code:
    # The default runlevel is defined here
    id:3:initdefault:
    This way, you won't autologin, and will be able to sign in as root and do what you want. When done, just do
    Code:
    kdm
    as root, and it will boot you to the login screen, or straight back to the desktop environment if autologin is enabled.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

thank you very much that helped a lot! will try that later!

it doesnt work ... well it does but doesnt stick to the changes when i reboot it. Perhaps all the files are read only..and i cant seem to write the configuration for the login manager settings.
    im stumped..

You have already installed Knoppix to hard drive right? If so, and you have edited and saved the changes as root, there shouldn't be any reason why the changes wouldn't be permanent.

yeah since it was on a live cd i just copied to the hdd as explain in the book on how to do it. So i dont understand why the changes arent permenant, and i have done this so many times now. Gonna give it a shot again later. AGAIN.

Well my adsl is reading and i can surf the net on KNOPPIX which is good, so i can maybe explain the actual problem a bit better if im in the environment live.

also remember i cant get into root! the default user is knoppix lol i cant even log out of that, when i log out from that it just logs me automatically logs me in

Go to the penguin on the taskbar, bring up a root shell, type "passwd", now you can set up a root password. And you will be able to do root things.

I don't think you will be able to login as root, you will still on bootup login as knoppix.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Go to the penguin on the taskbar, bring up a root shell, type "passwd", now you can set up a root password. And you will be able to do root things.

I don't think you will be able to login as root, you will still on bootup login as knoppix.
    um thats what ive been trying to do...but it still wont let me save changes even under root. Because it wont save the file even i try to execute the file from the root shell to edit as root. ANyway here is the evil messages ive been getting

The only thing I can figure is how you, "installed" it. You say you copied it over? Why didn't you use the Knoppix installer?

What error messages do you get when trying to become root? Does it accept, "root" as username and will not accept the password? What does it say...

Maybe you can edit those files with the sudo utility.

Maybe we could tackle this problem from a different angle.
    If you could explain why you are trying to login as root, so you can change certain things. Maybe we can help you to find a way to change these things from the terminal.

There are many different ways to access root, without logging in as root from the start.
    If you search through the K menu, you will see an option, "Run as different user".
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast