Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this is Knoppix but since DSL is based upon it I thought it would be ok, it's only a quick question. I have a small Creative Labs MuVo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Damn Small Linux question

I know this is Knoppix but since DSL is based upon it I thought it would be ok, it's only a quick question.

I have a small Creative Labs MuVo 128mb stick player. On the DSL website it said you could boot off the USB though I'm confused a bit.. in the mirrors do I need to download something specific for the USB drive? Is it an ISO file? How do I install to the usb player itself and then boot with it? I am just a bit confused here, I would like to run DSL 1.1 and be able to boot to it off my player and I only have a couple of says to do it. I want the "wow this is cool" from some family that's coming out to see us. I always try to put on a good show - four people have been converted to the good side so far.

btw, is it actually installed to my box when I boot into it? I doubt it because it's a live-cd and therefore you would install the live cd to the stick player and then simply boot off of that instead of a cd. Just a bit confused on how to get to that point though. OK well thanks for any help.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Firstly check if your motherbord can handle booting from a USB device. If it does, then just extract the dsl.iso onto the usb device and boot off it like if it were a normal live cd.

dyluino
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

OK thanks. I have a Soltek board with an Athlon XP 2600, I'm thinking I should just check the bios to see if it can boot to a usb, thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK in my bios I set it to boot to the USB device (which was nicely labeled as the MuVo) but then when I boot nothing happens - it goes to the FreeBSD bootmanager. What am I doing wrong here? The .iso is on the player, nothing else. Extracting? I just lifted this off my desktop and placed it into the usb device folder.. I'm thinking that it's definetely something wrond I'm doing with the iso or something ele because my computer is ready to boot off the device. Is there something else I need to add to it other than just the "dsl-1.1.iso" file? There is a "pendrivehdd.tar.gz" file in one of the mirrors that caught my eye.. I dunno what else I need to add/do to get this thing to work. Thanks for the help.

Oh and yes the device is set to boot first.

Hmm, yes that question stumped me as well. A googled a bit and found:

http://fuzzymunchkin.dyndns.org/tdot...yfob/index.php
    http://darkdust.net/marc/diskimagehowto.php
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/talk/node/67

I think you need the [url=ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/bootfloppy-usb.img]bootfloppy-usb[url] to boot.

and you
    Code:
    dd /path/to/bootfloppy-usb.img /path/to/usb/mount
    but I'm not sure.
    The DSL forum has a whole section dedicated to booting from a usb device.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Checked the DSL forums already, but thanks for the links and the boot iso I think those will greatly help.

dsl embedded

I use the DSL embeded file then just copy it to the pen drive. But you are using a memory stick right? then you would have to use something called frugal. This is from the website
    Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
    Just a thought

Just Joined!
    You can't just copy the iso to the pendrive.
    This works!
    http://www.everything2.org/?node_id=1712243

E