Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Knoppix 3.7 with great success. It finds all my hardware including my motorola surfboard usb cable modem without any configuing. I tried Knoppix 3.8.2 and there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix 3.8.2 does not see my modem

I have been using Knoppix 3.7 with great success. It finds all my hardware including my motorola surfboard usb cable modem without any configuing.

I tried Knoppix 3.8.2 and there is no connection to the modem and hence to the internet.

Since this modem is neither a dial up connection nor a network card I cannot see how to get it working. The modem is on a 24/7 connection to my ISP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rich

Just Joined!
    just a follow up to draw a line under the problem
    -------
    I never did get knoppix version 3.8.2 to connect to the usb cable modem.
    USBview sees it, check installed modules modprobed' etc to no avail.
    version 3.7 works fine and installs to HDD.

However I have since tried Kanotix 2005-03 (knoppix derivative) which has the features I liked in Knoppix 3.8.2 - grub boot manager - updated open office and firefox and with a little fiddling with the /root/.konfig file to install beginner mode, everything goes onto HDD and works perfectly.

Why Knoppix 3.8.2 does not install all the usb modules - I don't know. Presumably the updated installer which I believe is the same as Kanotix can be configured to beginner mode and might just work. - Since I now have a working installation (just not Knoppix) I am going to leave it.

Thanks to all the peeps how at least looked at my posting.

rich