Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by soulbrothax831 I haven't used Knoppix myself, but I've heard that you can install it onto your hard drive. Do you see any kind of option the will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by soulbrothax831
    I haven't used Knoppix myself, but I've heard that you can install it onto your hard drive. Do you see any kind of option the will allow you to do that?
    knoppix does have a command that lets you install it to hd i think its
    Code:
    knx-hdinstall
    i think it sets up partitions during the install...not sure i havnt tried it
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    If you want a sistem similar to knoppix that is ment to be installed, try Debian. After all, knoppix is based on debian
    ubuntu is also based off debian and theres only 1 cd to download. ubuntu also has easy quick install.
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Linux Engineer
    Kanotix is based on Knoppix, with a very recent kernel (2.6.11) and is intended for install on hd's (uses the knoppix-installer). Great distro when you ask me, fits on one cd (which is a great plus), and it has the latest KDE (3.4) if you like that .

Anyway, making a choice from all the available distro's is kinda hard, so good luck.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Choosing a distro is a long process of trial and error. It all depends on your own personal needs and preferences as well as how you like things to be done.

My frustration comes from the fact that distros are constantly changing, and so is my hardware, so it's hard to settle down. For example, my first experience with linux was mandrake, and it was a horrible experience (this was years ago...the distro was definitely more unstable back then). I dumped it for Red Hat, which I liked very much. Later, newer versions of Red Hat made me angry, so I ditched it for SuSE, which made me happy. Then discovered FreeBSD, which I really bonded with until hardware issues forced me back to linux. Eventually, I came to settle down with Fedora Core.

So, in essence, I ended up back where I started. This is just an example of how choosing a distro is a crazy process (and arguably an ongoing one). No doubt I'm going to change out Fedora Core one of these days for something else.

I haven't used SuSE in years, but I thought that it was good. Based on what I'm seeing at these forums, it's still good.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by eatinglemur
    Choosing a distro is a long process of trial and error. It all depends on your own personal needs and preferences as well as how you like things to be done.
    I agree completely. I'm still choosing my fave distro.

Does anyone know if Ubuntu has more graphical configuration tools you can get? I haven't got my box on the net ( ) so i can't check...

easy and live distros

Hi All - I have been trying a *lot* of distros including live and dead(?).

If you don't mind spending a little money - getting distros from some of the CD burning places can be *really* cheap.

The one i have used lately is http://www.budgetlinuxcds.com
    but of course there are lots. I pay 2.15 per CD plus very reasonable shipping and get lots of free distros...example in march i bout 15 CDs and 1 DVD containing all of the distros that have been mentioned here for $49.15 USD including shipping. Then i got 15 CDs and 1 DVD free a month later. If you want to see whats out there quickly and cheaply try one of these outfits. another is cheapbytes.com.

Have fun
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Linux Newbie
    Brilliant thanx!

that's a lot of OS's for 50 dollars. i might have to check that out. that would be a lot easier than downloading everything.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2