Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a couple old Compaq DP4000 (166MMX 128MB 3GB) and the only version of linux I can get to work is feather linux live-cd which uses knoppix 2.7. There ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need knoppix 2.7!

I have a couple old Compaq DP4000 (166MMX 128MB 3GB) and the only version of linux I can get to work is feather linux live-cd which uses knoppix 2.7. There is not an easy way to install feather to the hard drive, so I want knoppix 2.7 so I can install to the hard drive. Every other version of linux I've been able to download has issues with video. I've tried Mandrake 10.1, Mepis 3.2, Red Hat 9, Fedora 3, FreeBSD and Knoppix 3.3. All give me video problems, but feather works great. Please help. Thanks

I don't think they distribute 2.7 any more. Here is a link to what distrowatch has.

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribution=knoppix

You could also look a t Damn Small Linux. Very lightweight distro, that has some good features.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

oz
    forum.guy
    Wow... 2.7 was a long time ago.

I did some searching for it but couldn't find it anywhere. Perhaps someone here will have an old copy on hand and they can forward it to you. Good luck with it...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You say there's no easy way to install feather linux, but if it's based on knoppix, normally typing 'knoppix-installer' as root at the command line should get you started I think.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You say there's no easy way to install feather linux, but if it's based on knoppix, normally typing 'knoppix-installer' as root at the command line should get you started I think.
    It is not even that difficult.
    Right-click on the Feather desktop, Select "Enahancements and Extras">Install to hard disk.

It doesn't get easier than that.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Knoppix 2.7

Thanks for the tip on Feather, I had no idea. When I did a search on it, everything I found was pretty complicated. I found directions on how to install knoppix to hard drive and thought since feather was based on it that it would work. It didn't. I'm going to try the the mentioned way to install feather. If anyone does run across Knoppix 2.7 though please post a link here. Thanks