Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've copied ( by smartftp ) the knoppix files to the knoppix folder on e:\ on my xbox and added an XDSL item entry to my evolution menu. When I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up XDSL on Xbox hard drive to run without disc

I've copied ( by smartftp ) the knoppix files to the knoppix folder on e:\ on my xbox and added an XDSL item entry to my evolution menu. When I run the item from evolution xdsl starts but then asks me to insert the disc again.

Is there a way to execute the frugal install ( so I won't need the disc in the future ) once xdsl in loaded from the disc?

Once it is installed on the hard drive will I be able to browse the other drives ( c,d,e,f, ) etc?

Thanks for any help.

It could be one of two things.
    When you went to install it, did you point it at the directory where the necessary files are.
    Or you need more files.

But then again I am not familiar with Xbox or XDSL, so I could be totally off.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

Pointing it ( what )

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    It could be one of two things.
    When you went to install it, did you point it at the directory where the necessary files are.
    Or you need more files.

But then again I am not familiar with Xbox or XDSL, so I could be totally off.
    The only thing I can change is the linuxboot.cfg file..... is this what should be pointed?

No I don't think you would want to point to the boot file.
    The name of the directory where the files are stored is wwhat you want to be pointed at.
    I suspect after rereading your original post that you are missing a file that the installer needs.

When I run the item from evolution xdsl starts but then asks me to insert the disc again.
    Based on that, it looks like you were in the diretory where the files are stored.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    No I don't think you would want to point to the boot file.
    The name of the directory where the files are stored is wwhat you want to be pointed at.
    I suspect after rereading your original post that you are missing a file that the installer needs.

When I run the item from evolution xdsl starts but then asks me to insert the disc again.
    Based on that, it looks like you were in the diretory where the files are stored.
    I'm sure I copied all the files. I'm not sure if I need to configure any of those files once they are on the hard drive.

I'm suprised there isn't any better documentation available. Thanks for your help.

Wes

http://www.xbox-linux.org/XDSL_HOWTO

Check this site, they have directions on the ftp install, where you can copy the files to your disk.[/quote]
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux User
    i run linux on my xbox, just get a hard drive for it and swap them out when u wana play xbox/linux, even tho there are simpler ways, this was the eisiest for me... (and i didnt wana buy anything) also vsx (very small xbox) seems to run much beter than any other linux on my xbox

Just Joined!
    If you are running XDSL directly from the CD then simply by right clicking on the desktop(or B button on the pad) open the K menu, and i believe its in 'system', select frugal install and put it onto your E partition. as far as accesing the other partitions, the newest XDSL has all the drives premounted in the release under /mnt/hdaxx.

thats IF you have the newest release, if not then get it.

any questions feel free to msg

Just Joined!

Frugal install different than ftp?

I was able to get the ftp install running. I updated the wiki with some pointers too.

I downloaded xdsl about 10 days ago; is that a new enough version?

Is the ftp install any different than the frugal install from the cd?

I have the ftp version going but didn't think of looking for the other drives in that location.. I'll check.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    You got it working??

I am still struggling... please help.

I have got a minimal linux on there from my USB stick (as described on www.xbox-linux.org ) .

I have also FTP'd the xDSL files to the right place (E:\KNOPPIX).
    Also i have created the linuxboot.cfg file as also described... BUT

I just cant seem to be able to run the default.xbe file.

The instructions say to put it somewhere you can run it then run Cromwell/default.xbe - - It fails with errors (binary rubbish on the screen and a couple of 'file not found at location' but very messy.
    I am guessing i am not in the right place to run it but i cant figure out where.

Thanks in advance.

Jez

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast