Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been fighting knop 3.8.2 for a week now. Too bad I have a usb floppy and a winmodem...nothing money won't fix. I bought an external modem ... great ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

at least windows works

I have been fighting knop 3.8.2 for a week now. Too bad I have a usb floppy and a winmodem...nothing money won't fix.

I bought an external modem ... great / works fine.

I bought 256k thumb drive ( cruzer micro ) for myconfig so I don't have to setup my modem , printer , and desktop // excuse me! panel every time I boot this kluge.

Well , I got the config files on the thumb drive and guess what !

The drive hangs up the boot process... knoopix just sits there checking usb. When I yank the thing out it starts back loading. I tried putting the thumb drive in after it restarted in hopes the second time it checked it would find my setup but , of course , no joy.

OK.. I can either reload all this setup info every time , try to take back this modem I don't need , load a copy of this rant on this stupid little mem stick OR I can go back to the redmond mafia......

Oh , I guess I could buy a computer running dos 3.1 ( knop dosen't do NTFS.....)

Oh-- never mind

Try starting up with noapic. There is often a problem with booting with USB devices plugged in, and noapic is often the solution. Also, since knoppix supports hotplugging (meaning you can just put the usb stick in after you boot and have it recognized) it shouldn't be a world-ender. Keep at it!
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for trying... I assume you mean to add noapic at the boot prompt. Just noapic was invalid. knoppix noapic knoppix myconfig=scan went through with the same result , hung at checking for usb ...

Try acpi=off as well; sometimes that will fix an error like this. Does your machine see the usb key if you boot first and then plug it in?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Tried acpi=off with same result. The usb flash drive is seen by XP and by knoppix because it let me save the config to it, and created a panel icon for it. I can see the config file and the script in the thumb drive from knoppix. This is after pulling it to get the boot past the < checking for usb...> line and plugging it back in.

Does 3.8.2 run the 2.4 kernel or the 2.6 kernel by default? There used to be problems with some dirvers working under 2.4, some under 2.6 etc.. but that was 3.7. If it's booting 2.4 try boot=knoppix26

Just Joined!
    Its running 2.6 and I tried it with knoppix24 , but it said that was not valid.
    Now there is a new problem. When I logout and shutdown the screen blanks and the "shutdown voice" gets half a word out and echos it.

I do want to thank the two people that had suggestions for me, but I don't think this experment is going anywhere for me... Bye