Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a known issue with Knoppix not getting an IP assigned to eth0 due to router issues? I simply cannot get Knoppix (3.8.2) nor MEPIS 3.3.1 to get an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP is stingy to me

Is there a known issue with Knoppix not getting an IP assigned to eth0 due to router issues? I simply cannot get Knoppix (3.8.2) nor MEPIS 3.3.1 to get an IP address from my 3COM 812 ADSL modem/router. However PClinux .81a and SLAX 5.0.5 does get an IP assgined and I can get on the internet. I've tried Knoppix on a friends computer and it worked fine, her router was a different brand.

Any suggestions???

It is probably that router that is not supported.
    But if you look in the taskbar I think there is an internet configuration tool in there.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Alternating between Essex and Norfolk, both in England.
    I'm surprised Linux even knows what kind of Router is down the cable.

Could it be that your config is trying Netbios where the router is expecting pings, or vice versa?

It took me over a year to find a Linux distro that would work with the machine I had available, the network as-is, and Windows 2000 and XP.
    It's extremely easy once you know how (ie have solved it for your own setup) and apparently impossible otherwise.

Maybe try running 'dhclient'? I've ran across a couple of distros where I've had to run either that or 'dhcpcd' to be able to connect to the net (throught a router).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Maybe try running 'dhclient'? I've ran across a couple of distros where I've had to run either that or 'dhcpcd' to be able to connect to the net (throught a router).
    Also try 'pump'...IIRC, that's the DHCP client on Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    It is probably that router that is not supported.
    But if you look in the taskbar I think there is an internet configuration tool in there.
    No...just...no. DHCP is a standardized protocol. It is OS-transparent (like most other 'Net protocols). What device is on what end doesn't matter.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

No Dice

Neither pump or netcardconfig work. Both fail. Guess I'll stick with PCLinuxOS for now.