Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got the live-CD version and must say that I like it a LOT more than wndows. I've got two questions about it: 1.I have a Generic Softk56 modem, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Two questions

I just got the live-CD version and must say that I like it a LOT more than wndows. I've got two questions about it:

1.I have a Generic Softk56 modem, with a conexant chipset. Is there any easy way of getting drivers for it and getting it working? Or would I be better off to buy the $8.00 US robotics linux compatible modem that I saw on ebay?

2. How do I install knoppix as my main OS and not the live-cd? I would also like to be able to dual boot to windows, just in case there is a program that will not work with an emulator or anything, kind of as a backup.

Thank you

Re: Two questions

Quote Originally Posted by zachtheterrible
    1.I have a Generic Softk56 modem, with a conexant chipset. Is there any easy way of getting drivers for it and getting it working? Or would I be better off to buy the $8.00 US robotics linux compatible modem that I saw on ebay?
    There are a few threads on the forum regarding people having trouble with Conexant modems. Honestly, IMO, I think you'd probably find it easier just to pick up a cheap Linux-compatible modem. I had the same trouble with an onboard sound card a long time ago. Best $8 I ever spent.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

For your second question, open up a terminal and run 'knoppix-installer'.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yea, ill just get the modem.

Thank you very much for your help, ill try knoppix-installer when i get home . How can it be that simple? I spent about two hours yesterday looking this up on the internet and trying all sorts of complicated things that didn't work!!

Just Joined!

great guide to install knoppix to your HD if you need step by step guide (video)

your right its not that simple at all but this video will explain everything you need to know

visit irongeek.com url is http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1 it is a step by step video this is what i used and i had no linux expericne hope it helps

Yup, that video is nice! Actually, I also spent some time looking for a way to install knoppix (actually kanotix, but it's alot alike) and it seemed quite simple once I found that installer command.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    It took me forever to chase down something to play the flash with, and I still couldn't find it after an hour. Then i remembered that I have a flash MX cd in my closet used for making the animations. Needless to say that worked fine.

I got it installed and i LOVE it! I can't wait to get a modem and start browsing the internet with it. I still have to use my dual boot XP to get online, but once I get the modem, ill leave windows forever (hopefully).

I have a real quick question: In my boot menu, I have three options:
    Knoppix (default)
    knoppix
    Windows XP
    Why do I have an extra knoppix?

Another question: Is there a website that I can have a look at that gives some tips and tricks for Linux? ya know, things that I can try out to get to know the system better? I'm not talkin about linux for dummies or anything.

Thank you so much for all the help

Linux Engineer
    I suppose the 2nd option is for booting without ACPI. Then, as for your second question, there's lots of info out there about linux... From ultra-noob to super-geek, just the way you want it. If you want to do it the hard way, I suggest you install something like Slackware or Gentoo . Then you'll be forced to tweak and mess around with config files etc. Can be fun!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **