Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How hard is it to install knoppix on my harddrive? Is it a pretty simple affair? Also, I know it uses debs but does it simply hook into any deb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few simple knoppix questions

How hard is it to install knoppix on my harddrive? Is it a pretty simple affair?

Also, I know it uses debs but does it simply hook into any deb repository or does it use its own repository?

Thanks
    Kezz

Linux Newbie
    you can copy the cd image to your hard drive and free up your cd drive for other things. I use knoppix this way on an old win98 machine I have. To make it work you need a MS-DOS, FAT or Linux formatted hard disk partition and at least 700 Mb free space on the partition.

Boot up the knoppix cd, and at the prompt type,

knoppix tohd=device

replace "device" with your hard drive, mine is /dev/hda1, so it looks like this:

knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1

knoppix then copies the cd image to the hard drive. When its finished you can take the cd out and use the computer just like an install. If you need to re-boot the machine, pop the knoppix cd back in and at the prompt type:

knoppix fromhd=device mine would look like this:

knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1

and it will boot from the image on the hard drive again. You only have to copy it to the hard drive one time. Use this with the "save configuration" and the "make persistant home" options and it works just like an install without all the problems. If i ever needed win 98 again, i can just reboot as normal and its there.
    Registered Linux user #388374
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
    Albert Einstein, (1879 - 1955)

Just Joined!
    If I understood well, you can copy the CD image to the same partition where Win98 is installed. Is that right?

Do you allways have to use the CD to boot the machine? Is it possible to do that from a floppy disk?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    You can also do this, seems more convenient to me:
    Code:
    $ sudo su
    # knoppix-installer
    Then the debian installer will pop up, and you'll be able to configure partitions and stuff like that. Piece of cake
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Yes, it copies the image on the win98 partition. You will need the cd to initally boot the machine, but once you pass the fromhd command and your desktop boots, you can remove the cd and use it for other things.

You can also reclaim your disk space (the 700MB image) by booting back into win98 and going to explorer and deleting the knoppix folder under c: drive.

I have been running knoppix this way for some time now with no problems. I read on some other forums that the complete hard drive install is not easy as everyone says, it has its fair share of problems. Do some research, you will see what i mean.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Just Joined!
    Thanks. Due to I am still learnig lunix, I will use Koppix this way for a while before going into a full instalation. Just one more question: Does it work well with Windows XP?

Just Joined!
    It works EXCELLENT side by side with XP! The only complaint is the suck-ass boot loader (lilo). But all you do is go:

su knoppix-installer

at the command prompt and vuala! It walks you all through it. It is painless. And very simple. Fast too. No configuring!

Linux Newbie
    yes it will work on xp, but you will first have to make a fat32 partition as your win xp is ntfs. Check this out,

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/intro.html

Remember, the way I was showing you, your are still using the live cd image, its just copied to your hard drive to free up the cd-rom. Your existing system is left intact. The other posts (about using su knoppix-installer) refer to a full install or a dual boot set-up with windows. I just wanted to make sure your clear on that part. I've never done a full install or a dual boot, the other guys would be more help to you there. It does not matter to me which way you use knoppix, long as works!

Just Joined!
    ya it is a full install, but there is seriously (other than the partitioning) 1 option and then it copies pretty much the whole cd image.

oh, YOU DO not NEED TO CREATE A FAT32 PARTITION! It works just fine with the NTFS (for reading). But it can't write to it.

You just use QTParted (it comes up in the install) and (imagine ur hdd is 80gb) you resize windows to be 65 or 70gb and then you make a ext3 (linux) partition and a swap partition out of the rest!

okay? Hope that helps. If you're all fuzzy on how partitioning works, get a real distro such as SuSE or Fedora.

l8r

Just Joined!

Hey

if I have xp re-installed will knoppix installl on 2nd HD OK and configure itself so as I can dual boot like my existing distro does..cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast