Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I'm not sure how to install knoppix and format my drive for it. (currently ntfs) can someone please guide me through? I don't have much time! thanks in advance, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I install?

Hey, I'm not sure how to install knoppix and format my drive for it. (currently ntfs)

can someone please guide me through? I don't have much time!

thanks in advance,

fische

Just Joined!
    fische,
    Knoppix is a boot from cd operating system. You do not need to install anything or format your hard drive. In fact, you can have another OS on the hard drive and boot Knoppix from the cd.

To get Knoppix to work:
    1. Go to www.Knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html and download the .iso file for Knoppix.
    2. Use image burning software such as Alocohol 120% to burn the image onto a cd.
    3. Change the boot order in your BIOS settings so that your computer first checks the cd-rom drive for a bootable disk. Do this by pressing [delete] or whatever the screen says to enter the BIOS settings (When the computer first starts up).

And this is all you need to do to get Knoppix running on your machine. Just restart the computer with the cd in the drive and it will boot up linux from the cd. This is why Knoppix is great to find out if you will like Linux or not. Because you can still keep a Windows machine while you are test driving it.

I hope this helps.

Though Knoppix is designed as a live cd distrobution of linux. you can also install it on your hard drive. You might want to look at this tutorial.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Do what Hendrix said and once you have booted, just go to Qtparted/cfdisk/fdisk, etc. etc. and format Win. Now run "knoppix-installer" from the terminal.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    Do you want to keep part of your NTFS windows partition, or do you want to delete it all?