Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello guys Can someone explain to me how to configure my HP 5219 keyboard? I was surfing in all available options in the configuration window but none of them worked. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP keyboard

Hello guys

Can someone explain to me how to configure my HP 5219 keyboard? I was surfing in all available options in the configuration window but none of them worked.

Thanks.

What are you trying to configure? Does your keyboard have multimedia keys and extra buttons along the top that aren't working?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Exactly !!! The keybord works propertly but multimedia buttons and volume contral don't.

I had some luck with my Logitech multimedia keyboard using a program called LinEAK. It's been some time since I've messed with it though, so as far as actually getting it set up, I'll leave you to someone more experienced.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    OK. Thanks for your help !!!

Multimedia keys can be a toughie, you might be better off configuring some keyboard shortcuts (ie Shift + 'v' + '+' = Volume Up and Shift + 'v' + '-' = Volume Down) There are configuration tools for this in both KDE and Gnome.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

If you're using KDE, use the KDE control centre to configure keyboard mapping, as it's built on lineak technology but runs nicely within kde and within too much configuration. Also you may look at your xorg.conf and check your keyboard settings. The inet keyboard settings contain lots of the common configurations for multimedia keyboards, again information taken from lineak, but instead of mapping over the x keyboard settings, it directly changes them.

Many keyboards these days share the configurations so it's quite likely it's already in there somewhere. I spent a long time getting this right for myself so if you need anything more on this let me know.

Actually you've inspired me to action...

Look in the file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/inet, you will see details of multimedia keyboards. At a glance at mine I see listings for hp keyboards -
    Code:
    xkb_symbols "hpi6" {
    xkb_symbols "hp2501" {...
    xkb_symbols "hp2505" {...
    xkb_symbols "hp5181" {...
    xkb_symbols "hp5185" {...
    xkb_symbols "hpxe3gc" {...
    xkb_symbols "hpxe3gf" {...
    xkb_symbols "hpxt1000" {...
    xkb_symbols "hpzt11xx" {...
    xkb_symbols "hpxe4xxx" {...
    xkb_symbols "hp500fa" {...
    xkb_symbols "hp5xx" {...
    You will notice that you need to modify your xorg.conf to match your layout -
    Code:
    Option "XkbLayout"   "us"
    Option "XkbVariant"  "inet"
    Option "XkbModel"    "hp5185"
    Option "XkbRules"    "xfree86"
    This is a rough guide obviously,might take some tweaking. I notice you're using Knoppix, which is Debian based so I'm not sure whether it's using xorg.conf or XF86Config-4 at the moment, but config is almost identical for both.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your answer BigTom. I'll try to do that, but I must confess you that I'm new in Linux's world and I'm still learning (that's why I am using Knoppix) . I let you know if I've got problems.

It may seem a bit convoluted, but it's actually quite easy after the first (scary) attempt! Any troubles post back and I'll try help as much as I can. Maybe start with KDE Control Centre > Regioanl and Accessibility > Keyboard Layout. Always a good place to start. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast