Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by tas Okey dokey: -using the unmount command gives a "bash: unmount: command not foun" (yay! i can copy and paste!). This happens both in root and out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by tas
    Okey dokey:

-using the unmount command gives a "bash: unmount: command not foun" (yay! i can copy and paste!). This happens both in root and out of it.

-chmod: "chmod: /mnt: Read-only file system" But i still get the "You do not have read access on that directory" error when trying to access /mnt/ from emelfm

-Regarding filesystems: On this computer all the hard drives (3) are formatted to NTFS but i have a FAT or FAT32 (im not sure) USB flash drive attached and an external USB hard drive formatted to FAT32. I also want to get DSL working on my older computer which has a FAT32 hard drive.

I find it strange that it doesn't mount the drives automaticly. Why doesn't it do that?
    As budman7 said, use "umount" not "unmount". This is a typical newbie mistake that I remember doing myself when I started using Linux.
    When you try to mount it again you could try to specify the file system as such:
    Code:
    mount -rw -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt
    I don't think that DSL (CD-version) can mount the harddrives directly at boot because the CD is a read-only filesystem and you can't change the /etc/fstab to mount at boot.
    If you want to have the behaviour that for example Knoppix has where you get a Desktop -icon for every harddrive in your system that you just can double ckick you need to use another disto, that has KDE.

tas
    Just Joined!
    Ok the mount command still gives me the "You do not have read access on that directory" problem so i need to change teh read/write permissions. When i mount them by right clicking and clicking mount in emelfm i can access tehm but i only have read permissons and if i try changing the permissions through emelfm it wont let me.

If you want to have the behaviour that for example Knoppix has where you get a Desktop -icon for every harddrive in your system that you just can double ckick you need to use another disto, that has KDE.
    The reason I downloaded this distro is because I want to run it on my old computer that only has 64MB of RAM and therefore Knoppix (and KDE) won't load.

Just Joined!

How to change the DSL-User to root

Hello,
    I have the same problem for hours..." ..no read access.."

my question:
    How can I start the WindowManager as root instead of dsl-User.
    right mouse->Window Manager exit works, but don't know how to start it then from command-line..

Thanks in advance
    ulli

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I thought I'd mention, for those that don't know, that the slit in DSL's fluxbox (Vertical toolbard on the right) has a tool to mount/unmount any particular drive in sees on the system with one click. I've always used this with no errors at all.

ulli, if you are running from the Livecd, you'll need to be dsl user to startx. If you're root at the CLI, startx will not work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2