Find the answer to your Linux question:
im sure its been asked, but how do I get ntfs write support for (knoppix 3.9) live-cd?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ntfs write support for live-cd

im sure its been asked, but how do I get ntfs write support for (knoppix 3.9) live-cd?

Knoppix WIKI:
    ... Under most conditions, Knoppix can not write or change files on an NTFS (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS) partition. Forcing it to do so may end up scrambling the underlying NTFS filesystem. Knoppix (and the Linux kernel) can read NTFS partitions just fine, the danger is only present when attempting to write to it. ...
    Try mounting the partition with the "-rw" parameter, for example:
    Code:
    mount -rw -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

Linux Newbie
    it didn't work it would make all the folders owner's root and the chown command said it didn't have permission (as root). I can't even make a new file.

whats going on? it says I have write permissions but it can't write to it.

its preventing you from shooting yourself in the foot, in all honesty, DO NOT WRITE TO NTFS FROM LINUX. the only time you might want to try is if you have multiple ntfs partitions, and the one you are writing to contains no system files.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    thats ok I have plans if (and when) it explodes.

how do I give it a try?

Linux Newbie
    can anybody help? the alternative is for me to spend weeks moving and cataloging files that never got put in a backup folder.

so if you know how to write to ntfs please tell me so I can give a try and possibly not waste weeks of my life.

-thanks

Ah...there is light for you. Knoppix comes with a program called captive ntfs. It allows you to load the actual ntfs.sys and a few other bits from your windows partition in read mode, then remount the drive read-write using actual ntfs drivers. By all accounts it works quite well. It should be right there on the kmenu, if not on the knoppix menu like previous versions. It is a nice wizard style tool, you should be able to figure it out quite easily. Post back with any queries.

Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    can anybody help? the alternative is for me to spend weeks moving and cataloging files that never got put in a backup folder.

so if you know how to write to ntfs please tell me so I can give a try and possibly not waste weeks of my life.

-thanks
    So,actually you don't need write support, just read support. Unless you want to change the files while they are still in Windows.
    But if you just want to copy/backup, that only requires read support.

I was not aware that knoppix had captive-ntfs.
    budman7 puts knoppix cd in and reboots to check this out.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Knoppix & BitDefender live cd has support for write access in ntfs filles.
    ftp://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.bitdefender.com/pub/Live/LinuxDefender_Live!_v1.5.6_CeBIT.iso