Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by neanderthal // anarchism hmm, so do i NEED to download the md5sum?, or can i just download the iso and burn it to a disc? the md5sum ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal // anarchism
    hmm, so do i NEED to download the md5sum?, or can i just download the iso and burn it to a disc?
    the md5sum is to check the integrity of the d/l if it is corruphed or not
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by loft306
    hmm, so do i NEED to download the md5sum?, or can i just download the iso and burn it to a disc?
    hah, ok, well i downloaded on my windblows OS using this download program that checks everything and it came out well, i'm going to pick up some cd-rs tommorow and burn the thing and see if everything's good
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Linux Engineer
    Hm... Why didn't he get it when I told him this? I don't get it. I said the same thing, but he didn't seem to understand...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Hm... Why didn't he get it when I told him this? I don't get it. I said the same thing, but he didn't seem to understand...
    speak english next time, damn you.

Linux Engineer
    hah, ok, well i downloaded on my windblows OS using this download program that checks everything and it came out well, i'm going to pick up some cd-rs tommorow and burn the thing and see if everything's good
    You see, that's the whole point . Your download program can say it's ok, but if you want to be sure, you need to compare the original md5sum (which is in the md5sum file you can download along with your iso) to the one generated by the program that checks your iso. Do you understand? It might sound complicated, but it's not.

1. download the iso;
    2. download the md5sum file;
    3. check the iso's md5sum by using a md5sum checking program (K3b for example will generate one automatically). You do this by pointing the program to the downloaded iso, which it will generate a md5sum for;
    4. open up the downloaded md5sum file, it is simply a text file containing the md5sum. Compare it to the outcome of (3). If they match, cool, if not, there's a problem.

I hope it's clear now? It took me some time before I figured it out too, it can seem complicated at first .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

No you don't need to. I downloaded just the iso, and it came out fine. 2 caveats...don't unpack your download, and make sure your cd-burning software knows how to handle an image (the Roxio on my XP home version could not).

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You see, that's the whole point . Your download program can say it's ok, but if you want to be sure, you need to compare the original md5sum (which is in the md5sum file you can download along with your iso) to the one generated by the program that checks your iso. Do you understand? It might sound complicated, but it's not.

1. download the iso;
    2. download the md5sum file;
    3. check the iso's md5sum by using a md5sum checking program (K3b for example will generate one automatically). You do this by pointing the program to the downloaded iso, which it will generate a md5sum for;
    4. open up the downloaded md5sum file, it is simply a text file containing the md5sum. Compare it to the outcome of (3). If they match, cool, if not, there's a problem.

I hope it's clear now? It took me some time before I figured it out too, it can seem complicated at first .
    aha, now i understand

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BillM
    No you don't need to. I downloaded just the iso, and it came out fine. 2 caveats...don't unpack your download, and make sure your cd-burning software knows how to handle an image (the Roxio on my XP home version could not).
    yeah, i use padus disc-jugglar, plus i've burned isos before with verious other distros so that's nothing new to me.

Linux Newbie
    well, i burned the iso and it works great, knoppix is pretty rad it has loads of stuff and starts up in 5 minutes! hah, now i won't have to deal with any microscam or windblows anywhere i go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2