Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i noticed on this site - http://archive.cs.stedwards.edu/knoppix/ there's a few isos, i assume i need to download only one, and it should be the english one version 3.9, which is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

downloading knoppix iso

i noticed on this site - http://archive.cs.stedwards.edu/knoppix/
    there's a few isos, i assume i need to download only one, and it should be the english one version 3.9, which is KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso , but there seems to also be
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.md5 KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.md5.asc
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.sha1
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.sha1.asc

so do i just download the iso? or do i need all that other stuff?
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Linux Engineer
    You need the iso & the md5sum file to check if your downloaded iso doesn't contain any errors. Dunno why those file have those crazy extensions though... Never seen them!

Do you want the most recent one? Then you have to download 4.0 (which is a dvd). If not, stick with the cd.

Maybe you should look here for official mirrors: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

It's the site of the creator of Knoppix; I suppose the repo's have older iso's available as well...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    You need the iso & the md5sum file to check if your downloaded iso doesn't contain any errors. Dunno why those file have those crazy extensions though... Never seen them!

Do you want the most recent one? Then you have to download 4.0 (which is a dvd). If not, stick with the cd.

Maybe you should look here for official mirrors: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

It's the site of the creator of Knoppix; I suppose the repo's have older iso's available as well...
    yeah, i actually got that mirror from that site, i was going with 3.9 because it's a cd and not a dvd, but i don't know if i need to just download one thing or everything

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    This one for example contains 3.9, the iso & the md5sum... I think you just didn't look close enough .

Linux Newbie
    This one for example contains 3.9, the iso & the md5sum... I think you just didn't look close enough .
    and yet i see

KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso
    KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso.md5

all i really want to know is what do i need to install, i thought the whole knoppix was supposed to be 1 disc

Linux Engineer
    The iso is a cd image that needs to be burned; in order to check if your downloaded iso image contains errors, you need to calculate the md5sum, and compare the outcome to the contents of the md5sum file you also downloaded. If they match great, if they don't, then your iso is corrupt.

Linux Newbie
    The iso is a cd image that needs to be burned; in order to check if your downloaded iso image contains errors, you need to calculate the md5sum, and compare the outcome to the contents of the md5sum file you also downloaded. If they match great, if they don't, then your iso is corrupt.
    how do i calculate the md5sum?

Linux Engineer
    When you burn it with K3b, K3b will do a md5sum check before burning, you have to compare, then you can burn (remember K3b will always say 'calculating md5sum...ok').

If you don't use k3b, do some googling for md5sum calculation programs. They exist both for windows and linux.

Linux Newbie
    hmm, so do i NEED to download the md5sum?, or can i just download the iso and burn it to a disc?

Linux Engineer
    You can safely do without; it is only a few KB though, so why wouldn't you? Keep it in case you need it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast