Find the answer to your Linux question:
(I know its old, it matches my system ) I've just installed Knoppix 3.3 on my harddrive and I have some q's about using it: 1: Can I create shortcuts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few queries about using Knoppix 3.3

(I know its old, it matches my system )

I've just installed Knoppix 3.3 on my harddrive and I have some q's about using it:

1: Can I create shortcuts on the desktop so I dont have to use the command line to start an app.? for instance if I want to use amsn I have to open bash and go "cd /Desktop/amsn-0_93"
    then "./amsn". I there a way I make a shortcut to do this for me?

2: Volume control?! I have no sound the speakers and soundcard are good...i've tested them under Windows (shudder). I have a feeling the volume might be set to mute somewhere...
    any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

Martin

Linux Engineer
    You should be able to place links on the desktop with KDE. Configure them using the path to the executable, and pick the related icon.

Volume control: open up bash, and type 'alsamixer' that will bring up the sound card configuration. Use the arrow & the M button to (un)mute the channels and raise the sound level. ESC for exiting alsamixer, # 'alsactl store' for saving your settings so they will be used everytime you boot.

Good luck.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **