Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have knoppix installed on hardrive but have just got fedora 4 and was wondring if i could install it on same drive as knoppix with out over writing knoppix ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can you put 2 distros on one hd

i have knoppix installed on hardrive but have just got fedora 4

and was wondring if i could install it on same drive as knoppix with out over writing knoppix
    and when i boot computer i would have a choice of knoppix or fedora or

winxp any one knows if this is possible

tia

If you have space you certainlly won't have any trouble, in fact you'll find that most of the people on the forum dual boot. Use the fedora installer and it will install itself and a bootloader which should include entries for Knoppix. Only issue will be if you have filled your harddisk kwith Knoppix, in which case you will need to repartition. Thankfully I believe Fedora will look after this for you with some tools you can use in the install.

Just Joined!
    i have a 40 gig hardrive partitonened in 2 20 gig for windows and 20 gig for knoppix so i just take 10 gig from linux drive and then use that?
    is it easer to use pmagic 8 in windowsxp or use fedora to do it ?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jetli68
    i have a 40 gig hardrive partitonened in 2 20 gig for windows and 20 gig for knoppix so i just take 10 gig from linux drive and then use that?

cheers
    If you are just adjusting a linux drive you may be better using Fedora. I would imagine support for resizing an ext3 drive would be much better there. If there are any Fedora users here who can do a walkthrough...

Just Joined!
    cheers m8

Just Joined!

cheers
    Seems to me that isn't leaving yourself alot of room. I'd go out an buy another HD personally. Install to that and then edit your Grub.conf file to point it to FC4. I just messed around with this myself so even though I'm not an expert it's fresh in my mind.

Just Joined!
    i am using a laptop to install the distros onto m8

Just Joined!
    i am using a laptop to install the distros onto m8
    Well, you could try an external one but that isn't optimal in more than a few situations. It depends how much you're going to use WinXP (and Knoppix for that matter.) Maybe take a bit off both, or more of the XP partition?

If Knoppix is all one partition you should be fine to grab 8-10 GB from it for another install. Unless you have a fair amount of personal data you should be fine if you're just experimenting but if you intend using them a lot then you may well be a bit tight on space.