Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to create a demo CD (or other medium) for an application I am writing. The CD should not be able to negatively affect the host machine in any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Knoppix LiveCD for Product Demo

I need to create a demo CD (or other medium) for an application I am writing. The CD should not be able to negatively affect the host machine in any way (install conflicting versions of applications/libraries, interfere with dependencies, or other such problems), so I figured a RAM disk or liveCD would be the way to go. However, everything I have researched on RAM disks indicates that there is some registry editing/mounting involved, which is precisely the kind of potentially harmful changes that I want to avoid. Thus, I believe a liveCD is the way to proceed.

The target OS of the app is Windows 2000/XP, but distributing a liveCD with any M$ OS on it would most likely be illegal, so I am looking to Linux. Knoppix seems to be the most popular Linux liveCD, so hopefully it can fulfil my needs. My app is written in C using GTK 2.6.9, so a Linux port won't be a problem (and will look more polished than the Windows counterpart). The app is < 2MB, in case you're wondering.

Basically, my question is, can anyone recommend a good customization that would be a good starting point, or should I just remaster the default Knoppix configuration from scratch? Any other thoughts/tips/criticisms would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just Joined!
    Check this out. (only if your using linux as your OS, a windows port is being worked on.)

http://ibuild.livecd.net/

click on the wiki for install instructions.

peace V

Linux Newbie
    I am a big fan of "Knoppix Hacks" by Kyle Rankin, O"Reilly, 2004.

This book provides information of producing your own tailored version of Knoppix.

I found my copy used on Amazon for a fraction of the cover price.

Jeff
    Registered Linux User #391940

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the input. I read some reviews on the book suggested, and while it looks useful, I don't think I have the time required to learn Knoppix well enough to remaster it from scratch.

Thanks also for the suggestion on iBuild. However, I failed to mention that my distro is SuSE 9.2 Pro. iBuild requires Debian Sarge, according to the website (and the various .deb packages it requires). Does anyone know of any LiveCD flavors that can be build on SuSE without requiring the instability of cross-distro tools?

Just Joined!
    You could try PCLinuxOS, Mandriva LiveCD, Fedora LiveCD.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Hit the link above and you'll get a plethora of sites based on creating rpm livecd's. While they are listed for other distro's you should have no problems using them on SuSE, being that it is rpm based also.

best to you

peace V