Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a very new Knoppix user. I am using it to clean out my died Windows XP system. I have two hard drives. One 60Gb Maxtor and one 7Gb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copying files

I am a very new Knoppix user. I am using it to clean out my died Windows XP system.

I have two hard drives. One 60Gb Maxtor and one 7Gb IBM. Both NTFS. I want to wipe the 7Gb and back up some of the 60Gb onto it and them wipe the 60Gb clean. The problem is that I cant seem to change the read/write settings on either hard drive. I'm sure there is a console comand to change it but I cant find it.

Thanks. James

Native NTFS write support is dodgy at best in *nix. If you want to write to an NTFS partition, I would recommend looking into captiventfs, which uses Windows' drivers to access the partitions. I'm not sure if there's a "prebuilt" package for Debian or Knoppix, though.

You may want to look at sysresccd.org, since it has captive installed by default. Their documentation is pretty good, as well...it walks you through the process.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson