Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Knoppix live cd running on a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. I have Netgear WGM511 (802.11g) pcmcia wireless card. When I boot Knoppix it never turns on the card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless configure

I have Knoppix live cd running on a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop. I have Netgear WGM511 (802.11g) pcmcia wireless card. When I boot Knoppix it never turns on the card (no indicator lights). Knoppix says it has loaded the pcmcia card handler. I go to K Menu -> KNOPPIX -> Netword/Internet -> Wavelan and it says "No wireless card found." and closes the window. I know the card works because I can access it through Windows. I know the WAP is there because I can get to the internet through Windows. The only thing that seems to be missing is my connection between Knoppix and my card. How do I fix this?

You may have to use ndiswrapper to configure that card; it uses Windows drivers. I don't know whether Knoppix has ndiswrapper by default (it's been a while).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

I think Knoppix should have it (Kanotix certainly does, used it to setup my wlan). Upen up a console and run 'man ndiswrapper', it should toss out the man page.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!

Wireless configure

Knoppix has ndiswrapper. I used man ndiswrapper and it showed me all this wonderful stuff about installing a driver. Well, how do I find the name of the driver that I need? I looked in system32\drivers but could not match a name with "Netgear" or wireless anything. Thanks for the help in getting me this far. I have been trying to get some form of Linux going for some time but have never made it this far before. I really hate Windows but since I have work I have to do it means my time to play with Linux is pretty limited. I'll keep trying though.

Find the windows driver for it (on a cd if you got one with the card, otherwise on the internet, on their site). Then use the instructions to load the driver. You can find good instructions on ndiswrapper's website for setting things up.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Found ndiswrapper and read the manual. Found the driver file for NetGear and it had five files in it. Two .sys, one .bin, and one .inf. I submitted them to ndiwrapper and he did something with them and seemed satisfied but still no setup. Sure and learning a lot about Linux but there is an awful lot to go. What do I have to do now to make this go?

You only have to submit the .inf as far as I remember. Once you do that, check the ndiswrapper wiki, there's a link to it on their site. I think you have to 'modprobe ndiswrapper', then setup you wireless with the utility in knoppix (I don't have any encription so the only thing I set is the essid, I leave the rest blank).
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux User
    Code:
    # ndiswrapper -i /<path-of-drivers>/*.inf
    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    # ndiswrapper -m
    now try to go to the network card setup in kde, put in all your network info (ssid,wep key, etc...) and see if it works
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Just Joined!
    State of Cebu, Republic of Visayas, Philippine Zone
    Thanks whisker! It solved my problem too.