Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's a dumb question--in Knoppix, how do I copy a FAT32 partition, like how "Ghost" does it? I'm copying from hda1, a 13gig hard drive with Windows 98 installed, to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to copy a FAT32 partition?

Here's a dumb question--in Knoppix, how do I copy a FAT32 partition, like how "Ghost" does it?

I'm copying from hda1, a 13gig hard drive with Windows 98 installed, to hdb1, a 36gig partition in a 40gig dual boot drive (I already have Linux and GRUB installed; the Linux side is fine).

Also, is there some way in Knoppix to check a FAT32 partition for disk errors (a surface scan)? I'm afraid there might be bad sectors in that 36gig partition, but I'm not sure. Of course, if I can get Windows98 copied over, then I may be able to run scandisk (not sure if it will have issues with the >32gig partition size, though).

Right now, I'm thinking of simply formating the FAT32 partition with QTParted and then copying the files over with Konqueror. Since this is a FAT32 partition, I don't have to worry about retaining file ownership or permissions, I think. Is that right?

Thanks!
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Does anyone have any ideas?

I used QTParted to reformat the partition as FAT32. I also set it as the active partition.

Then I mounted both hda1 and hdb1, used "cp -r" to copy the files over like so:

cp -rv hda1/* hdb1

This worked just fine, copying over all the files.

However, when I moved the drives around (removing hda and moving hdb to hda), I was unable to boot anything. GRUB gets as far as the chain loader and then the computer just sits there doing nothing. Obviously, something more than just setting the partition active and copying over the files is needed to make it "bootable".

Any ideas for what I'm missing?

Thanks!
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan