Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to salvage a friends computer and retrieve data from the hd before using her recovery disc. I believe the partition info is corrupted. Windows says missing or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Could not mount device the reported error was mount: /dev/hda1: can't read superblock

I am trying to salvage a friends computer and retrieve data from the hd before using her recovery disc. I believe the partition info is corrupted. Windows says missing or corrupt hal.dll but the recovery console will not find a windows installation. Do I give up or can knoppix help.

Linux Newbie
    There are tools for recovering data without partition information. DocRegenerator written by Dmitriy Primochenko, my ex coworker, very good tool for recovering .doc files. Another commercial tool is EasyRecovery for recovering any data. The advantage of DocRegenator is that it preserves file names and can recover .doc files better than EasyRecovery, I experienced that in my practice.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the response but I cannot boot into windows and when i run testdisk on knoppix it appears not to see the hd

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok learning fast and making mistakes but i discovered root shell and got testdisk to find harddrive. Very surprised to see lots of different partitions as this is a relatively new laptop help with testdisc appreated