Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could someone tell me how i can get a file off my c drive while using linux. I have a driver on my windows desktop that i need for linux. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new to linux

Could someone tell me how i can get a file off my c drive while using linux. I have a driver on my windows desktop that i need for linux. Speaking of which when i get the file in linux how do i install the driver(its a winzip file)? Also could someone point me to some tutorials on basic linux operations, I have no idea how to use it.

First of all, a driver made for Windows will not work in Linux, unless you're using ndiswrapper to get your wireless working, but that's another story.

If you're using Knoppix, your Windows partition should show up on the desktop. Just click on it, and it'll open.

Please be specific about what exactly you're trying to get working, what exactly you've tried, and what exact errors you get; otherwise, people can't help you.

oz
    forum.guy
    After Knoppix is fully booted, click on the desktop icon that has your windows partition on it. You might need to mount the drive by right clicking the icon. Once there, you should be able to use Konqueror to transfer the file to your Linux partition. Don't know if the driver file will work in Linux, though.

Places to learn about Linux:

http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

http://dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_toc.html

Just Joined!
    I got the driver from wildpackets made for linux but I just dont know how to install it in linux. And also I dont see the windoes partition on my desktop.

fpd
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    ... a driver made for Windows will not work in Linux, unless you're using ndiswrapper... your Windows partition should show up on the desktop. Just click on it, and it'll open... Please be specific about what exactly you're trying to get working, what exactly you've tried, and what exact errors you get; otherwise, people can't help you.
    Say what? It won't work, but it will work? Just click on Windows and it will work? What about protected NTFS and mounting read/write? Specific is not what is needed, accuracy is.

thumper,

To "see" your hard drive(s), open up Konqueror (the globe icon being attacked from behind by a five legged squid) and mash your F9 key. This will open a bunch of things on the left hand side. Hover your mouse over the Qbert boxes and see Devices. Click on that button and you will see a list of devices from CD, DVD, Floppy and a list of Hard Discs (hdx#), then if you have USB devises, you will see (sdx#).

So, where is Windows? Click on one of the (hdx#) devices. When you recognize the folders that show up as Windows folders, then SHAZAM! you found Windows! You can surf around that drive for your files.

If you are running LiveCD and want to WRITE to your Windows disc, you might have to right-click on the hdx# device and select Mount ReadWrite (or something to the effect of making it writable). You will be asked "Are you sure?" - just lie to it and say "Yes, I am quite confident."

Rock on Oz!

Here's some accuracy for you: you will not be able to reliably write to NTFS from Knoppix no matter how you mount it. NTFS is for read-only. Any programs that enable to you write to NTFS via Linux are still experimental.