Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a UNIX system that got corrupted and could not boot any longer. I have the hard drive in a external case and hooked up to another system booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing a Unix Hard drive

I have a UNIX system that got corrupted and could not boot any longer. I have the hard drive in a external case and hooked up to another system booting off of a Linux 3.8 distro. When I try to access the drive it gives me the following error.

Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

Can anyone assist? And if so please reply as if you are talking to the newb that i am

Linux Enthusiast
    What filesystem is it? You can specify the filesystem when you mount with the "-t" option.

Just Joined!
    The hard drive is from a system running Unix 5.0.6 and from looking my google search my best guess is the FS is SCO. I could very well be wrong but that was all the info I could get.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rm2eric
    The hard drive is from a system running Unix 5.0.6 and from looking my google search my best guess is the FS is SCO. I could very well be wrong but that was all the info I could get.
    UFS (I beleive that is the FS SCO Unix uses) is extremely hard to mount and write to in Linux. It's experimental, and I doubt it's enabled in the default Knoppix Linux kernel.