Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have various versions of Knoppix up to and including 3.9 CDROM and 4.0 DVD. I was given to understand that all versions of Knoppix after 3.7 contain the Captive-ntfs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Captive-ntfs questions

I have various versions of Knoppix up to and including 3.9 CDROM and 4.0 DVD. I was given to understand that all versions of Knoppix after 3.7 contain the Captive-ntfs tool. The DVD does contain that tool under Knoppix/Utilities but not all machines that I've had to use Knoppix for rescue have DVD drives. None of the CDROMs that I have contains that tool. Is there a version on CDROM that contains Captive-ntfs? I was told at another forum that I could "run Captive-installer as root" but I'm so green about Linux that I don't know how to do that or anything that's required in a follow-on to that command. Can anyone suggest a CDROM distro that contains the tool or, if not, point me to some instruction to help me run Captive-installer as root??

To run anything as root, you normally (in a console) run the command 'su', which then asks for a password (the root password). Anything that you now run in this console you run as root. Knoppix (and many live distros, as well as some other ones) have what is known as a 'root console' where anything run in it is run as root. Look in the menu, probably under 'system' or something akin for it, though I don't know the exact command for captive-ntfs, you should be able to find this with google.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your rapid response. The information you suppliedd will be very helpful and I appreciate it very much.

No problem. For some great info on Knoppix, google the free .pdf book 'Knowing Knoppix'. And have fun
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com