Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and I'd like to get it to run on Knoppix. I believe it's a Winmodem/Linmodem and I have even managed to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Winmodem/Linmodem

I have a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter and I'd like to get it to run on Knoppix. I believe it's a Winmodem/Linmodem and I have even managed to get SiS 900 drivers labeled ''for UNIX/LINUX'' and am wondering how to set it up. I've tried Wvdial's autoconf but failed. Any and all help is appreciated.

ethernet , fast or otherwise, is not a modem.

It maybe that you have a linmodem and an ethernet adapter in your PC (try opening up a terminal window and entering /sbin/lspci which will show what PCI cards you have).

When you get your internal/winmodem/linmodem/PCI modem (all the same thing) driver installed, it will create something in the /dev/ folder (something like /dev/ttyLT01, but your's will, probably , be called something else) and it is this that either wvdial or kppp (has nice GUI config) wants to be told about, as the device that it needs to talk to. Mind you, you may be lucky and have a symbolic link created for you that points at the correct device and is called /dev/modem (try, in a terminal window [b]ls -alF /dev/modem[b] to see), in which case it is this that you need to tell wvdial or my personal favotite, kppp about.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Well, it's external if it makes any difference. Any neither KPPP or Wvdial detects its settings, but I will try your suggestions before seeking out further help.

right. Now I understand.

You have an external modem, so no need for any drivers, which is attached to...? You serial connector (/dev/ttyS0)? Your USB port?

The hardest part here will be finding what Linux calls the connector that you've got your external modem plugged into. If it's a bog stabdard serial port (called Com1 or Com2 or Com3 ... in Windows) then you need to point your dialer at /dev/ttys0, or /dev/ttyS1 or /dev/ttyS2 ... (Linux, you'll find, often counts from zero rather than one).

I have had no experience with USB connected external modems, so can't really help there (maybe /sbin/lsusb would help).

You don't mention which distro you run. You may find that something called "kudzu" runs at start up and detects new hardware, so it might detect and configure your external modem, but the modem must be turned on and connected at start up for this to happen.

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    Like the name says (or should say?) it's connected to the ethernet port.
    And the distro is Knoppix.

then I have no idea what is happening.

sorry

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    I have quite a bit experience with modems in linux and I'll try to help.

But, first I'm confused, do you have a highspeed modem connected to the ethernet port?? If so, than the steps you're are taking are wrong.

If you are using a dial-up modem, than that has nothing to do with the product you listed--the SIS product is just a network adapter.

Post a little more details and we may be able to help

EDIT: oops, didn't realize this thread was a few weeks old. hopefuly he got it figured out.