Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
can you copy with the Code: cp command? Code: cp /file /mnt/point...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

can you copy with the
    Code:
    cp
    command?

Code:
    cp /file /mnt/point
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    i just booted up and read that
    While mounting the hard disks it sayd
    Filesystem seems mounted read only, slipping journal replay
    Maybe this is my problem???

Linux Newbie
    could be ... did you actually install knoppix from the livecd ... because when i did that all sorts of terrible things stopped working for me if you wanna install from a livecd try simplyMEPIS worked for me some good
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    and i would point out that if the drive says it is already mounted and you cannot umount... then i wouldnt be concerned with a mount point right now ... but i would be more concerned with why its not reading... sounds like there is a problem with ext3 ... (for some reason the filesystem didnt take ) you check into your partions (do you have one big partion?)

also ... can you fdisk /dev/hda
    ? p

and post what it says ?
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Just Joined!
    says that the number of cylinders is larger than 1024 and that it could be a problem with some setups like lilo

Linux Newbie
    its my understanding that both grub and lilo's current version do not acutally have this problem ... it would more likely be bios ... but i will say it again ... don't try to use an installed knoppix!

Just Joined!
    forget it...I now installed Fedora core 4
    ...It sucks even more...really let down by linux

Linux Newbie
    i'm not familiar with fc4 but red hat isn't the best place to start for linux (this is my understanding anyway) ... try www.openSUSE.org ... www.ubuntu.com .... www.simplMEPIS.org first ... all of which are VERY point and shoot linux distros that let you get up and running quick and painlessly (as quick and painless as possible anyway)

don't give up just yet ... linux may seem daunting at first ... but it gets better ... i promise

Just Joined!

re being fed up with Linux

Don't quit just yet! When I first started out with Linux, I went through four or five distros before I found one that would even install on my computer. When I did get it on there, it wouldn't let me use my keyboard; when I solved that problem, it nixed my hot-shot three button neon mouse; then it kept kicking me off the internet. When I got around that problem I discovered I couldn't print anything ... and so on and so on and so on. But I stayed with it, joined some forums, read some books, and cruised the magazines at the local bookstore.
    Every time I read about something I understood, I would do it on my Linux sys
    and gradually I got to understand what it was about and how it worked.

Stay with it; you won't regret it. Try Ubuntu first, or Mepis. These are distros with easy installs and great forums that are really helpful. When you get up and running, you'll have an operating system that's yours, that you can do anything you want with. (Ubuntu is free, by the way, just ask them for it at their web site and tell them where you live and they will send both a live cd and an install cd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2