Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to connect to the internet via ethernet adapter (it's a laptop, HP N3510), and I found Knoppix's built in NDISwrapper, but I can't get the drivers in there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.INF trouble...

I'm trying to connect to the internet via ethernet adapter (it's a laptop, HP N3510), and I found Knoppix's built in NDISwrapper, but I can't get the drivers in there to be...wrapped/whatever, because, obviously, knoppix is in the disk drive. Is it possible to get the drivers on a floppy? Will that even work? People say that knoppix does good with ethernet adapter cards, so that's why I chose knoppix over fedora or redhat, because I couldn't get the drivers to work. Thanks

Just Joined!
    well, I got the .INF files onto a floppy, but I decided to try recogonizing a wireless card. the lspci -v reads
    Code:
     0000:06:00.0 Network controller: BROADCOM CORPORATION BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
              Subsystem: Linksys WPC54G
              Flags: fast devsel
              Memory at 08c00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=8K]
              Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
    What does that mean? I think knoppix knows it's there. but I can't figure out how to get online with it!

it means it detected your wireless card, but it doesn't have the necessary drivers.

All you need now is to find the wireless drivers for this card and use ndiswrapper to loadup the drivers for the card.

Hint, you can save the drivers to your windows partition, launch knoppix and see the windows drive. Then just copy over the drivers to your home directory, follow the instructions to get the drivers working for your card and you should be online in no time.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I now have the .inf on a floppy, trying to ndis...wrap it, but for some reason the error message comes up as
    Code:
    the selected file is no .inf file or the .inf file is invalid.

See the thing is the inf file contains references to other files which are used by ndiswrapper to wrap the driver for you. Now just having the inf file alone isn't going to be any good, you need those other files too.

Now, for your wireless card. In windows, copy the drivers director on your card's cd to somewhere in my documents. Now launch knoppix, goto the /mnt or /media and look for your C drive usually it will be /mnt/hda1 (or sda1 if windows is on a sata drive), navigate to your my docs folder and ensure that you see the drivers (there will be an inf file along with some sys files). Copy them to your knoppix home directory.

Now execute the commands for ndiswrapper in the terminal.

Just Joined!
    is it possible to use the GUI ndiswrapper, or will that not work?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by samuraiBSD
    is it possible to use the GUI ndiswrapper, or will that not work?
    well, I tried it in terminal, but it keeps telling me
    Code:
     cp: cannot start '(insert driver here)': no such file or directory
    I did what you said and copied the drivers to the knoppix desktop.
    The strange pert is that after i installed all the .inf files, each time getting a file not found answer, It tells me the drivers are already installed when i try to do them over again.

leave the drivers and everything (cab files, sys files etc) in a folder and copy this folder to your desktop.

Now, do the following:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l  <-- lists the presently installed driver
    ndiswrapper -e name_of_driver  <-- erase the presently installed driver
    cd /home/your_user_name/Desktop/Drivers
    ndiswrapper -i name_of_driver.inf
    ndiswrapper -l  <-- see if drivers installed fine
    ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    Now just launch knoppix's network card config tool and tell it to use ndiswrapper as the driver. Then setup the ssid and things for the network and stuff.