Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have been using the knoppix hacks book to do some remastering, so far with pretty good success. I have gone through the process of removing/adding software, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Knoppix remastering questions

Hi all,

I have been using the knoppix hacks book to do some remastering, so far with pretty good success.

I have gone through the process of removing/adding software, and so on, and have my new iso.

My aim is to have a customised version of xfce, lots of nice apps etc.

So i go through configuring/changing the desktop, desktop background, icons, adding plugins to the panel. The question is, how can i retain these settings so that when i boot my new remaster i dont get a vanilla?

According to the book i can save the knoppix config, copy the knoppix.sh and configs.tbz to appropriate dir and create a new iso. i have tried this a couple of times and i cant get it to work.

Is there any other way i can go about this process?

Just Joined!

Saving Settings

The settings for the user from boot are taken from the /etc/skel directory. But the script I'm trying to remember so bare with me, ok, on 5.0? it is /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession which calls the settings of the X window system. But besides the adjustments well I needed to make for changing the user name in /etc/skel before making the iso image, you need to make changes in the /usr/share/knoppix/profile/.* there will be .gnupg .mozilla etc ...

I've remastered 5.0? sometime ago and had a tough time getting my settings to stick. I am just now getting back to it, but what I did after backing up files and messing with them for hours on end, is run qemu on the source directory I was working on. And I could see for the most part the changes taking effect. There were some bugs that didn't show up until after a burn, and I remastered until I felt it was close enough to what I wanted and copied to run from a partition. Well I could keep going on about this, but my machine is being set up again, on another part with suse 10.1 and I'm getting everything else back to where I left off and go on with this painful remastering project of mine.

Good Luck