Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry I'm a newb in Linux.. This time I have a work to make live CD for knoppix. I work with my notebook.. and the hell is my hardisk not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

:?: I want to install Knoppix with VMWARE Can Somebody Help Me Pliz ?

Sorry I'm a newb in Linux.. This time I have a work to make live CD for knoppix. I work with my notebook.. and the hell is my hardisk not in partition.. so I choose to try VMWare than Magic Partition.. I want to install Knoppix in VMWare.. Can someone help me.. cause when I try to mount the harddisk, they can't see the harddisk.. Really it make me crazy.. and I can't finish my work.. Please someone help me.. i've already check all of this forum and I see about mount point.. can i use it the mount point.. thank you very much..

Linux Enthusiast
    You do not install knoppix, you boot from it.
    If I remember correctly, in VMWare you should also have a way to boot from CD.
    In your case, knoppix image should be used in place of CD.

Just Joined!
    Yes.. I can boot from live Cd Knoppix. But this time, to remove some files from the live cd, I must install Knoppix into harddisk first than remove it.. But I can't install the knoppix CD using VMWare.. can u help me pliz ^^

Just Joined!
    Means that.. With VMWare we can make a double operating system in one Hardisk, so I want to insert Knoppix in Windows. Cause my main Hardisk is Windows.. So.. please help mee ^^

Linux Enthusiast
    To install knoppix in VMware, you should have virtual disk already created.
    I would think that you create it when you install VMware. I may be wrong about that part, as I do not know much about VMware. So, for now, let's assume that you already have the virtual disk (about 4 GB).

When you boot knoppix, start terminal.
    At the command prompt, type:
    Code:
    su
    fdisk -l
    It shows drive information. In your case, it's your virtual hard drive (probably /dev/sda)
    First you will have to partition it. To do that, type:
    Code:
    cfdisk /dev/sda
    Follow the menue to create new partitions.
    Create one partition of about 3.4 GB (that is where you will install knoppix) and choose 83 for its type, and make it bootable.
    Create second partition of about 600 MB (will be used for swapping data on it if your computer does not have enough memory).
    When done partitioning, choose to wrtite changes to the disk, and quit cfdisk program.
    Now, type:
    Code:
     fdisk -l
    and you should see something similar to this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1       *       1         304     2441848+  83  Linux
    /dev/sda2             305         377      586372+  83  Linux
    Now, type:
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/sda2
    swapon /dev/sda2
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    To check if you are ready to install knoppix, type:
    Code:
    cat /proc/swaps
    and you should see something like this:
    Code:
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    /UNIONFS/dev/sda2                       partition       586364  0       -2
    then, type:
    Code:
    cat /proc/mounts
    along with other lines, you should see one like this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ext3 rw 0 0
    If you got to this point, you sould be ready to install knoppix.
    Type:
    Code:
    knoppix-installer
    and follow the GUI options to complete the install.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    wahhhhhhhhh... thank you very much with your helpp.. now, really I can go to install knoppix in vmware... yes2.. I have run it.. thank you very much pav... ^^

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_canadian
    wahhhhhhhhh... thank you very much with your helpp.. now, really I can go to install knoppix in vmware... yes2.. I have run it.. thank you very much pav... ^^

Just Joined!

Angry

I want to do the same.

The partitioning with cfdisk goes well.
    also the creation of the swap and activating it.

But if I type knoppix-installer it always say that I have the requirements.
    Although Im having a ext3 partition thats 2GB big and a Swap thats something around 250MB. The primary partition is set to boot.
    I do have to mention I used IDE hdd in vmware but that shouldnt give any problems, or am I wrong? I also selected with vmware that it is "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel". (and why they have to know your kernel/linux?)
    This goes over and over again. Then I readed something like "... you can use: DISABLE_CHECK=1 sudo KNOPPIX-INSTALLER". tried that because I thought maybe the script was detecting something wrongly.

someone has an idea what causes this problem?
    help is very appreciated!

PS: sorry if I had to create a new thread but I thought that it fits here because its an addition to this topic.

I think you should create a new thread and not hijack this one
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums